Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic OpenGL Support Merged For Wine's Wayland Driver

Phoronix: Basic OpenGL Support Merged For Wine's Wayland Driver

The merge request enabling basic OpenGL support for the Wine Wayland driver has been merged to Wine Git this evening as another important step forward for native Wayland support for enjoying Windows games/apps on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so can one reasonably run wine on wayland with that or whats the state of things? i just did a fresh gentoo install and went with wayland, having never tried it before now. i havent had to install xwayland for anything yet which is neat but now im wondering what things actually do need it and what determines that exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
      so can one reasonably run wine on wayland with that or whats the state of things? i just did a fresh gentoo install and went with wayland, having never tried it before now. i havent had to install xwayland for anything yet which is neat but now im wondering what things actually do need it and what determines that exactly?
      Basic means basic (it's not fully featured). You can reasonably run the Wayland driver with OpenGL but some features will be absent thus some things won't work, in layman terms it's still in early development.

And since the whole Wayland driver in Wine has not been recognized as stable (or on by default), it's still not ready for the masses but you can try it as an experiment.

Comment

For things like simple Windows apps or Vulkan (DXVK/VKD3D) games it works great on 9.3. Anything OpenGL crashes with "no driver" error. Will see how it goes with 9.4.

Comment

I've been playing Windows games through DXVK on Wine's Wayland driver without issue on a gamepad. It's working well!

Comment

only app for which i have xwayland installed is steam

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

For things like simple Windows apps or Vulkan (DXVK/VKD3D) games it works great on 9.3. Anything OpenGL crashes with "no driver" error. Will see how it goes with 9.4.
              So hypothetically, if I built zink for windows, would that be enough to have most of the windows games run?

Comment

I wonder, does Wine Wayland handle fractional scaling? or is it fuzzy?

Comment

I plan on testing wine wayland soon with flutter. flutter apps are utter crap on linux natively, I wonder if wine will be better

Comment

Congratulations! Nice feature to have.

Comment

Working...
                    X