Steam On Linux Should Stop Crashing If No OpenGL Drivers Are Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Should Stop Crashing If No OpenGL Drivers Are Found

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Should Stop Crashing If No OpenGL Drivers Are Found

Wednesday's small Steam client beta update should fix a crash when starting the Steam client when no OpenGL drivers are found...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is awesome news.

Also, the headline made me laugh because you can funnily read it as two opposite statements
    A: "Steam no longer crashes when OpenGL drivers aren't found"
    B: "Steam is crashing when OpenGL drivers aren't found and it really needs to quit that"

Comment

Stupid question, doesn't Steam use OpenGL for rendering its UI? Or can it use Vulkan as well nowadays?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        This is awesome news.

Also, the headline made me laugh because you can funnily read it as two opposite statements
        A: "Steam no longer crashes when OpenGL drivers aren't found"
        B: "Steam is crashing when OpenGL drivers aren't found and it really needs to quit that"
        Yes. To solve the ambiguity, either it should be "[...] should now stop [...]" or "[...] should stop [...] now"

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
          Stupid question, doesn't Steam use OpenGL for rendering its UI? Or can it use Vulkan as well nowadays?
          Isn't it some electron or similar nonsense? I need to be mindful to close steam when I'm done playing a game otherwise it cuts the battery life of my laptop in half, something is seriously wrong with the steam client. steamwebhelper seems to keep a core consistently active.

Comment

steamwebhelper is a big mess but nothing I can do to get rid of it 😂

Comment

Nice shitposting bro (because it's less of a news, more of a whatever phoronix users are writing) (not that I'm complaining)

Comment

Originally posted by Blademasterz View Post
                steamwebhelper is a big mess but nothing I can do to get rid of it 😂
                steam.sh is big mess too hope they rewrite it any sane language. too much bash scripting is bad and very hard to debug, atleast run shellcheck on it too

Comment

vulkan is the future. opengl is dead and doesn't support modern hardware. developers have moved on. people who continue to want opengl to work are luddities.

Comment

Originally posted by geerge View Post
                    Isn't it some electron or similar nonsense? I need to be mindful to close steam when I'm done playing a game otherwise it cuts the battery life of my laptop in half, something is seriously wrong with the steam client. steamwebhelper seems to keep a core consistently active.
                    If you have a dGPU, then it's probably because Steam is launching on the dGPU by default rather than the iGPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X