No announcement yet.

SDL3 Introduces A Vulkan Renderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documentation and manuals how to use this old way is updated for year 2000 or is already something newer? And even some videocasts portals with maybe some examples for those a little gifted...

Comment

Hmm... one could already "do" Vulkan (some of it, anyway) with SDL2...
      Code:
      // - `SDL_WINDOW_VULKAN`: window usable with a Vulkan instance
      SDL_CreateWindow("title", 0, 0, 1920, 1080, SDL_WINDOW_VULKAN);

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
        Hmm... one could already "do" Vulkan (some of it, anyway) with SDL2...
        Code:
        // - `SDL_WINDOW_VULKAN`: window usable with a Vulkan instance
        SDL_CreateWindow("title", 0, 0, 1920, 1080, SDL_WINDOW_VULKAN);
        That does just the OS-specific parts of Vulkan, everything else is still up to you. I know because I coauthored the original Vulkan support in SDL2.

Comment

I think this is for the 2D drawing stuff built into SDL. It has nothing to do with what a 3D game running its own graphics engine would use.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Everything that supports Vulkan supports Vulkan 1.0. All editions afterward build on it.
            My question was is there any device nowadays that is Vulkan 1.0 only actually?

Because if anything is Vulkan 1.2 or up, with bother with Vulkan 1.0?

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

My question was is there any device nowadays that is Vulkan 1.0 only actually?

Because if anything is Vulkan 1.2 or up, with bother with Vulkan 1.0?
              Android devices. They lose support but are still out in the wild. So you can take this and put it on the oldest version of Android devices that still support Vulkan and it runs. Cheap Android devices still sold today may come with that version of Android as well.

Comment

Working...
              X