Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    Crossover Office
    A little bit off topic, but I think, since 20 years, it is no longer called "Crossover Office".

Correct me, if I am wrong, but as I think of the history of WINE and Codewaevers,
    there exists at first two companies, which using WINE: Codewaevers and Transgaming.
    Codewaevers used it to create CrossOver, which runs Windows Office programs on Linux. And they submitting its improvements to WINE back.
    Transgaming used it to create WineX (later Cedega), which runs Windows games on Linux. They don't giving code back and they are the reason, why WINE changed from an BSD-style license to the LGPL.

After the change to the LGPL, with the time Cedega was outdated and WINE was much more advanced for games then Cedega. So Cedega was no longer produced.

Then Codeweavers wanted to fill this gap and renamed its "Crossover" to "Crossover Office" and additional publishing "Crossover Games" for Linux.

Later then "CrossOver Office" and "CrossOver Games" are merged and there existing a CrossOver for different platforms: "CrossOver Linux", "CrossOver Mac" and in 2017 "CrossOver Chrome OS" , which no longer exists.

But I think, that is company-politics. Now they have besinde "CrossOver" the service of "PortJump" and "ExecMode".
    Last edited by theuserbl; 22 February 2024, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I won't argue with your history exercise but I just remembered it as Crossover Office for so many years it entrenched in my mind so much I don't even think and just write it down this way

Comment

Crossover was a great way to write research papers in Office 2002 on my Linux system but when I switched to FreeBSD Crossover couldn't come with me so I switched to Office 2003 on regular wine in FreeBSD. I've since moved on to Google docs for the grammar tools. Docs fixes a lot of errors that Word doesn't even if it was the version of word I learned in high school before that nasty ribbon infected Word in '07.

Comment

It would be nice if there was a flatpak on flathub.

Comment

Does Crossover provide any kind of security enhancement over regular wine?
            Would be a selling point for me...

Comment

Originally posted by RBilettess View Post
              Does Crossover provide any kind of security enhancement over regular wine?
              Would be a selling point for me...
              No, as far as I know.

A selling point should be the fact that you're sponsoring Wine development by buying a Crossover license.

Comment

Crossover is the only program that managed to get Office 2016 running for me. Normal Wine, PlayOnLinux, Bottles -> all failed to install or at best running very buggy

Nevertheless there's still countless frustrations with it so I just end up running a pirated Office 365 in a pirated Windows VM. Sadly, I have never managed to get something like Winapps or Cassowary to run either, so I actually spend a lot of time "in" the VM, mostly for Excel.

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
                It would be nice if there was a flatpak on flathub.
                Crossover will install random packages from the repos that it thinks are needed by a Windows app. Which I think won't work in a Flatpak. Also, that's why Crossover officially only supports Ubuntu/Debian and Fedora while others like Arch or openSUSE are more "should theoretically work, but maybe Crossover won't find a needed package in the repo because it's named differently".

Comment

Working...
                X