Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CodeWeavers Releases CrossOver 24 Built Atop Wine 9.0

Phoronix: CodeWeavers Releases CrossOver 24 Built Atop Wine 9.0

Building atop Wine 9.0 stable that released last month, CodeWeavers today released their commercial CrossOver 24 software for running Windows games and applications on Linux and macOS systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@Michael

Typo

"preferences. the new" should be "The" (capitalize first letter of sentence).

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
      @Michael

Typo

"preferences. the new" should be "The" (capitalize first letter of sentence).
      The period should be a comma.

Comment

Is there any big advantage over wine/proton?

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasD View Post
          One advantage is the use of bottles.

Additional, it can be possible, that some programs running on CrossOver, but not on WINE.
          Nevertheless, the extensions that make the programs run better on CrossOver then WINE, are open source​.

Here the OpenSource parts of CrossOver:
          The source code for the Wine components of CrossOver is freely available.

And I think this blog post of 2019 helps to understand the relationship of WINE, CrossOver and Proton:

In short of that blog post: CrossOver are using hacks, that WINE don't allow.
          That hacks are are not like in Windows, so WINE don't allow it.
          But the hacks let more programs running. So a commercial product like CrossOver integrating it.

Comment

I tried CrossOver a couple of times, and it never worked well for me. Last try was 3 weeks ago, and it failed to install some requirements for a bottle/program I was trying to run (maybe due to some Kubuntu issue, I can't remember now). At the same time, Bottles serves me quite well for Windows programs and Heroic for games

Comment

The last time I used Crossover was apparently in 2017 when they had a 50% off deal.

EDIT: Oh! It was Crossover 16.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasD View Post
                For a geek? Not really.

Crossover Office is for the normies, it features a beautiful GUI and it makes managing wine prefixes called "bottles" a breeze.

You also get support. And you also support Wine development because if not for Crossover, Wine would have never existed or had been so advanced - it allows to run I guess at least 80% of Windows games (with the help of DXVK of course).

It's also a nice commercial product with an installer. Wine by itself has almost nothing (aside from winecfg, barebones explorer, notepad and regedit which are not discoverable because not a single Linux distro that I'm aware of puts them in the start menu).

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

You also get support. And you also support Wine development because if not for Crossover, Wine would have never existed or had been so advanced - it allows to run I guess at least 80% of Windows games (with the help of DXVK of course).
                  Right. I cureently don't find the blog post, where they described it. Currently I found only this one.
                  Everything we do at CodeWeavers revolves around the open source software. Thanks to our customers, we have been able to fund huge improvements in open source development.

They have had written in a blogpost, how they writing its code for CrossOver.
                  If they improve the code, they directly upload it to WINE. At first there is no upload to any Codeweavers repos. They only submit to WINE.
                  That happens, until the next CrossOver is planned. Then the current WINE tree is forked on Codewaevers and they adding their own fixes and additions to it and publish it as new CrossOver version.
                  Then again, they at first submitting the code to WINE.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post

Right. I cureently don't find the blog post, where they described it. Currently I found only this one.
                    Everything we do at CodeWeavers revolves around the open source software. Thanks to our customers, we have been able to fund huge improvements in open source development.

They have had written in a blogpost, how they writing its code for CrossOver.
                    If they improve the code, they directly upload it to WINE. At first there is no upload to any Codeweavers repos. They only submit to WINE.
                    That happens, until the next CrossOver is planned. Then the current WINE tree is forked on Codewaevers and they adding their own fixes and additions to it and publish it as new CrossOver version.
                    Then again, they at first submitting the code to WINE.
                    Crossover Office is a curated tested Wine release with certain obligations/warranties that certain software will run.

Wine is where development is going on and it's mostly for fun/testing. You can perfectly use it in production if so you desire but it's all on you. I mean you will probably not want to update it ever if it works for certain applications because each Wine release is basically an alpha and contains a ton of regressions.

Comment

Working...
                    X