Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Looks At Making The Zink Driver Build By Default

Phoronix: Mesa Looks At Making The Zink Driver Build By Default

With the Zink OpenGL-on-Vulkan driver implementation continuing to prove itself robust and as performant as native hardware OpenGL drivers, the Mesa developers continue exploring new opportunities for it. Given its successes, a merge request has been opened so Zink would become part of the default drivers built by Mesa out-of-the-box without needing to manually enable it for compilation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are plenty of bad Open Source name projects, but Zink sure fits well in the grand scheme of things.
    Which reflects onto the rest of the project and it's necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      There are plenty of bad Open Source name projects, but Zink sure fits well in the grand scheme of things.
      "I get my OpenGL via ZoV (aka Zink over Vulkan)!"

I like the sound of that And yeah, seems like a stellar project and that Mike guy's blogging makes for both interesting reading and an entertaining style as well.

Comment

Any improvement/fix/optimization in Vulkan will directly apply to OpenGL (and D3D with DXVK) . Such a nice move!

Comment

Zink benchmarks woo! Here's to hoping Intel will have a better showing on their A-series.

Comment

This is kind of inevitable, at some point in time graphics card driver authors will stop directly targeting OpenGL and instead it will be provided by Zinc via Vulkan just like Microsoft does with earlier versions of D3D/DirectX.

And its kind of awesome because it means we might more or less get a reference implementation that will be consistent (i.e. Zink) instead of the historic problem that OpenGL has where it behaves slightly differently on each platform. Zinc also contains a lot of the game/executable specific workarounds (something that in the past has been closed information to the like of GeForce experience).
            Last edited by mdedetrich; 22 February 2024, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Will be interesting to see how this goes over. I can see it being more for Nouveau where there's a clear lack of good support, but AMD and Intel generally have well developed OpenGL systems in Mesa. I think even the Professional AMD driver oglp uses their new PAL subsystem which runs the same as Vulkan. Will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long term, but we did see a fundamental shift with Gallium back when it first arrived, so Zink is basically doing the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                In Dutch, it's bad indeed, because “zink” means “to sink”.

But in English, I like the name.

Comment

Does mesa even have a native OpenGL implementation for the new Intel Xe driver? Seems like a natural cutoff point to me.

Comment

With the open source Nvidia driver moving to Zink this seems like a no-brainer.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                    X