No announcement yet.

FEX 2402 Brings More Performance Improvements For x86_64 Binaries On AArch64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FEX is really promissing especially for android gamers who want to run games on their phones. I do have to say though, box86 support riscv does interest me more.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

Productivity software like which? Most have moved to web applications that can be run on any modern machine with a browser. Then you have LibreOffice, Blender and GIMP. Why waste time emulating productivity software when you have viable alternatives on Linux already.
      Linux also has OnlyOffice for better interoperability with Microsoft Office files. I think the biggest few things holding Linux back from becoming an option for businesses is the lack of integration with some business software solutions like Microsoft active directory and Microsoft office calendars and teams, however, browser-based security and office software are actually viable.

On a personal level, I have no restrictions on using Linux, but I can't say it's ubiquitous or easy yet without a fair bit of learning. As the KDE devs have previously said, there's a need to appeal to the least tech-enthused people, on order to get mass adoption.

I actually think Microsoft though has made it easier than ever to migrate (likely not intentional of them).

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

Linux also has OnlyOffice for better interoperability with Microsoft Office files. I think the biggest few things holding Linux back from becoming an option for businesses is the lack of integration with some business software solutions like Microsoft active directory and Microsoft office calendars and teams, however, browser-based security and office software are actually viable.

On a personal level, I have no restrictions on using Linux, but I can't say it's ubiquitous or easy yet without a fair bit of learning. As the KDE devs have previously said, there's a need to appeal to the least tech-enthused people, on order to get mass adoption.

I actually think Microsoft though has made it easier than ever to migrate (likely not intentional of them).
        Ah sweet wasn’t aware of OnlyOffice. I just use Google’s suite. I agree with the KDE devs.

Active directory doesn’t work in which way? I use SSSD and it works as expected for Active Directory. You also have Winbind, I use the PWA Teams on Linux. I see some admins not wanting to use it since there isn’t a proper MDM solution for Linux. I can’t drop ship a Linux machine to an end user and have it auto configure itself being off the local network.

Comment

Will have to see how the new ARM snapdragon laptops will look like in performance but with Asahi + FEX its looking like the M series macbooks can become a serious contender for a power efficient machine that can also game.

Comment

Anyone tried it with chrome?

Comment

Originally posted by NathanG View Post
              Anyone tried it with chrome?
              Why? There are native aarch64 builds of Chrome on most OSes.

Comment

Originally posted by Forge View Post

Why? There are native aarch64 builds of Chrome on most OSes.
                Sure you are not thinking about Chromium rather than Chrome?

Comment

Originally posted by NathanG View Post

Sure you are not thinking about Chromium rather than Chrome?
                  Yes, I am sure I am not thinking about Chromium. Google has Chrome builds for most OS/arch combos now, Windows aarch64 was the big missing one, and that's hitting stable momentarily. What OS/arch combos are missing Google builds?

Comment

Originally posted by Forge View Post

Yes, I am sure I am not thinking about Chromium. Google has Chrome builds for most OS/arch combos now, Windows aarch64 was the big missing one, and that's hitting stable momentarily. What OS/arch combos are missing Google builds?
                    Where you downloading a Linux aarch64 google chrome package from? I can see chromium, I can see x64 linux installs, but not aarch64 / Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X