No announcement yet.

FEX 2402 Brings More Performance Improvements For x86_64 Binaries On AArch64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEX 2402 Brings More Performance Improvements For x86_64 Binaries On AArch64

Phoronix: FEX 2402 Brings More Performance Improvements For x86_64 Binaries On AArch64

The FEX emulator 2402 release is now available for this open-source project allowing x86_64 binaries to run on AArch64 (ARM64) platforms, including games and the likes of Valve's Steam Play software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really wonder if in the background, some people from Eltech are working on it as well…

Still <3 this project.

Comment

Neat idea, wrong ISA.

Box64, a similar project, seems to have its priorities straight by instead focusing on the industry-standard open ISA.

Comment

No more AVX updates, I wonder if AVX2 support is done.

Comment

updated! https://cleanlinux.com/packages/fex

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
            Neat idea, wrong ISA.

Box64, a similar project, seems to have its priorities straight by instead focusing on the industry-standard open ISA.
            Knowing your obsession with RISC-V: until that actually has a viable and affordable consumer-grade product, FEX is targeting the correct ISA. This is especially true of people who are using ARM-based Macs. Like it or not, Apple made a good product.
            Besides, in what way would something like this interest you at all? If you're so keen on open standards, why would you be willing to run software that obviously is closed enough to depend on emulation? I see it as rather hypocritical.

Comment

Just what we need - yet another game emulator. I wish one of these projects would focus on productivity software, I think this is keeping linux back. Most of the ‘over 30’s in my extended family have less time or interest for gaming these days, and have grown disillusioned with linux as they find that unless you are in IT, linux doesn’t help much in your chosen profession.

Comment

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post
                Just what we need - yet another game emulator. I wish one of these projects would focus on productivity software, I think this is keeping linux back. Most of the ‘over 30’s in my extended family have less time or interest for gaming these days, and have grown disillusioned with linux as they find that unless you are in IT, linux doesn’t help much in your chosen profession.
                I don't think there's anything about this that's limited to games. It's just that games don't tend to have open-source alternatives and have many layers of great complexity, so generally speaking, if you can run a modern game, you can run most other applications too. Key phrasing there is "generally speaking", because there are of course plenty of exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I don't think there's anything about this that's limited to games.
                  I agree. But it's like wine - nothing much works except the games. So they all degrade into game emulators, like Steam.
                  There are open source alternatives to productivity software. But when you work for a corporation and they use windows software, these are of little use for many professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post
                    Productivity software like which? Most have moved to web applications that can be run on any modern machine with a browser. Then you have LibreOffice, Blender and GIMP. Why waste time emulating productivity software when you have viable alternatives on Linux already.

Comment

Working...
                    X