Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Pi Neo Coming As A Ryzen 7 + Linux Powered Handheld Device

Phoronix: Orange Pi Neo Coming As A Ryzen 7 + Linux Powered Handheld Device

When hearing of "Orange Pi Neo" this weekend from sources at FOSDEM 2024, I just assumed it was yet another Orange Pi single board computer... But then to hear it's a handheld game console from Orange Pi again gives off the impression of some low-power ARM device. It turns out though that the Orange Pi Neo is a forthcoming AMD Ryzen powered handheld gaming console...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Typo

"16GB of 32GB of LPDDR5 memory" should be "or"

Comment

Good to see more Linux based PC gaming handhelds coming to the market. Manjaro is probably not the best choice for this job, I wish it was some other more gaming oriented distro. But noteworthy to mention is that it seems to include two trackpads, like the Steam Deck does. That's great to see! No mention of OLED, so we can assume it's a LCD display, otherwise why would they not mention it. Hopefully that means they aim a low price or at least competitive enough compared to the Steam Deck.

Comment

If Manjaro themselves are promoting it I suppose it will ship with Linux, unlike the low-end Aya Neo thing that claimed SteamOS, then Holo ISO, then turned into Windows 11. Or maybe Orange Pi wouldn't put Windows on it no matter what Microsoft said to them.

Comment

Interesting they used Ryzen, and like Michael said - not the Z1. Quad channel memory is a must-have for these particular configurations.

Comment

Good on them going 7840U for x86 and not ARM. It's equally as power efficient as ARM counter parts while actually being able to play games. So how much does this cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              Good on them going 7840U for x86 and not ARM. It's equally as power efficient as ARM counter parts while actually being able to play games. So how much does this cost?
              It should be significantly more affordable than the Z1 extreme based ones.

Comment

Exactly the same specs as my Lenovo T14 Gen 4. 7840U, 32GB RAM @ 6400, 1920x1200 display, 53Wh battery. That's a perfect fit for a business laptop and the occasional game , for a pure handheld gaming device... I'm not so sure. After all you end up with a minimum power draw of 15W.
                Last edited by Tuxee; 06 February 2024, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Interesting they used Ryzen, and like Michael said - not the Z1. Quad channel memory is a must-have for these particular configurations.
                  Unless I'm mistaken the difference between the Z1 Extreme and the normal 7840U is that the Z1 has a lower cTDP of 9W and does not include the NPU (probably the reason it can go lower than the 7840U), in any case they both only support dual channel (though (LP)DDR5 runs 2x32bit instead of the 1x64bit of (LP)DDR4).

The Apple M series are the ones that support more than dual channel (though only on the non base versions) for mainstream notebook processors.

In any case and back on topic, I very much doubt that orange pi can move these cheaper than a Steam Deck or even a Rog Ally. Unless you are on mainland China and don't have to pay for transport and import fees that is.

Comment

I think that ValvE needs to seriously start talking to these companies and helping them with SteamOS proper.

This is something that Microcrap doesnt have an answer (yet) but dont expect them to sit idle waiting on Linux to take over.

We know very well that everything with Linux takes over 10 years to start working and M$ wont wait that long and release a proper handheld mode.

Comment

Working...
                    X