Cassia Aims To Pair Wine/DXVK/VKD3D-Proton/FEX For Windows Games On Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cassia Aims To Pair Wine/DXVK/VKD3D-Proton/FEX For Windows Games On Android

Phoronix: Cassia Aims To Pair Wine/DXVK/VKD3D-Proton/FEX For Windows Games On Android

Cassia is an in-development effort for running Microsoft Windows desktop games on Android. This work-in-progress effort is essentially akin to the Steam Play approach but targeted for Android users by leveraging Wine, DXVK, VKD3D-Proton, and then FEX for emulating x86_64 binaries on AArch64...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I want to point this out early, there are a LOT of projects getting windows games on android. Termux actually even supports wine + FEX natively, However long before that we have already been using chroots and proots for this and it works well. there are numerous apps optimized for this.

I see absolutely zero reason to use a closed source application when open source ones already exist. winlator https://github.com/brunodev85/winlator is mostly open source if not now completely open source, Termux is completely open source. You have scripts. I also plan to eventually do up a more custom solution for bliss OS since thats pretty much just x86 for now

EDIT: for anyone interested, literally just browse r/emulationonandroid for like 5mins and you will come across benchmarks, guides, etc. https://www.reddit.com/r/EmulationOn...&restrict_sr=1
    Last edited by Quackdoc; 04 February 2024, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      I want to point this out early, there are a LOT of projects getting windows games on android. Termux actually even supports wine + FEX natively, However long before that we have already been using chroots and proots for this and it works well. there are numerous apps optimized for this.

I see absolutely zero reason to use a closed source application when open source ones already exist. winlator https://github.com/brunodev85/winlator is mostly open source if not now completely open source, Termux is completely open source. You have scripts. I also plan to eventually do up a more custom solution for bliss OS since thats pretty much just x86 for now

EDIT: for anyone interested, literally just browse r/emulationonandroid for like 5mins and you will come across benchmarks, guides, etc. https://www.reddit.com/r/EmulationOn...&restrict_sr=1
      Nice! I didn't know about any of these. Thank you

Comment

In some ways I see it as a good thing. The non-technical consumers will flood to a company who can spoonfeed them support for the product whilst taking pressure off the open-source project developers to actually do a good job and further the industry correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchi View Post

Nice! I didn't know about any of these. Thank you
          there are also other solutions too, people seem to forget this, but android really is just linux with a strange display/audio stack, a differently setup storage hierarchy and a really fleshed out permissions system (one often set too strict but it is what it is)​

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

In some ways I see it as a good thing. The non-technical consumers will flood to a company who can spoonfeed them support for the product whilst taking pressure off the open-source project developers to actually do a good job and further the industry correctly.
          I'm 50 50. I see the benefit, but I would rather just support other fully open project.

Comment

Fuck yeah!

I was already running Debian within a proot environment using Termux and Termux-X11.
            With the Taskbar application for Android you can get a desktop experience (a la Samsung Dex) when you connect your phone with an usb-c dock.
            Then using the modified turnip vulkan driver and zink you obtain dri3 acceleration within your Debian xfce session.
            I couldn't get FEX running, but box64 + wine = many Windows games

So turnip and FEX receiving some love for running on Android is a very welcome improvement!

More info: https://github.com/xDoge26/proot-setup/issues/26

Comment

there are also other solutions too, people seem to forget this, but android really is just linux with a strange display/audio stack, a differently setup storage hierarchy and a really fleshed out permissions system (one often set too strict but it is what it is)​
              Bearing in mind that, before Google joined in on tightening their belt, there were signs they wanted to solve the "closed-source drivers plus Linux means update hell" problem by switching out the Linux kernel for Fuchsia and telling people "We never claimed anything outside the Dalvik layer was anything but an internal, API-unstable implementation detail".
              Last edited by ssokolow; 04 February 2024, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Bearing in mind that, before Google joined in on tightening their belt, there were signs they wanted to solve the "closed-source drivers plus Linux means update hell" problem by switching out the Linux kernel for Fuchsia and telling people "We never claimed anything outside the Dalvik layer was anything but an internal, API-unstable implementation detail".
                They spend the best part of a decade building Fuchsia, and now, at the point of beta release, they can it.

They really are demented.
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

They spend the best part of a decade building Fuchsia, and now, at the point of beta release, they can it.

They really are demented.
                  Hey, as long as it gives consumer-protection regulations more time to catch up.

Comment

Shame that its closed source but as long as they uphold their "upstreaming necessary changes" this can nonetheless be a benefit.

Would be interesting to leverage FEX on power efficient ARM laptops if you want to game on them, i.e. either with Asahi for Mac devices or standard Linux for high end ARM laptops which hopefully should start coming out soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X