Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Falls Short Of 2% For January, AMD CPU Adoption On Linux Hits 70.5%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    Can you remind us what market share Windows has in phones?
    From what I remember, when Windows Phone had about 3-5% of the market it decided to pull out of it.

It's just that such low popularity translated into a poor quality ecosystem, weaker apps, etc.

And in fact by the weak ecosystem, it was a worse product for the user than the competition.

So it is absent and has zero.​

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      I can't help but feel that the number of Linux users may be underrepresented and/or the number of Windows users may be over-represented.
      IMHO the best statistics for that is p***hub insight. We are around 3.6% according to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba
        IMHO the best statistics for that is p***hub insight. We are around 3.6% according to them.
        None gaming related Desktop OS percentages.

World Wide percentages
        Windows 72.99%
        OS X 16.13%
        Unknown 5.33%
        Linux 3.77%
        Chrome OS 1.76%
        FreeBSD 0.01%

edit: The unknown category is probably just Windows as well. That value has always seemed to track right a long with the ups and downs of the Windows percentage.
        Last edited by highball; 02 February 2024, 11:28 AM. Reason: Added an observation about the unknown category percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by vancha View Post
          This made me wonder. Would if affect the steam survey if the people that bought steam decks were the exact same people that already did their gaming on linux? I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a large overlap between the two.
          A yes and no, sure many linux gamers will buy steam deck (I will be one soon) but are all steam deck users also linux users before no, Steam deck has a wide appeal to people.

But for those that are, does it only count the accounts not the machines? So if you have 2 pcs 1 of em steam deck it is counted as 1?

If you reject to do the survey does it completely ignore your account or does it gather the automatically gained information including your OS?

Would the survey pop up if you go into desktop mode and play let's say in a emulator or even "free" copies? Probably not, so it may be that amd users overlap more with "pirates" and therefor it doesn't count the hardware enough.

Does the time of usage change how often you get a survey so if you are connected 20 hours to steam per month do you get 2 times as likely get such survey than if you are connected 10 hours of does it just statistically try to find good pcs to ask and ask them whenever they come on, how representative studies would try to do.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

From what I remember, when Windows Phone had about 3-5% of the market it decided to pull out of it.

It's just that such low popularity translated into a poor quality ecosystem, weaker apps, etc.

And in fact by the weak ecosystem, it was a worse product for the user than the competition.

So it is absent and has zero.​
            This is one of the reasons why open-source is important. Windows Phone died because the company behind it decided to pull out. In comparison, desktop Linux is still very well alive despite having the same market share (approximately 4% according to statcounter).

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              Some things that spring to mind:

Linux user tend to be more privacy conscience and seems to be a big draw for why they use Linux.
              linux users dont like drm and use steam at all, windows steam users want to play games and will skip survey nonsense, el-cheapo-steam-freaks on linux complain all the time they dint get the survey often enough.

yeah, i think the stat is skewed, but in the other direction.

Comment

Quite amazing to see the linux share drop, especially after all the steam deck sales. Guess 2024 ain't gonna be the year of linux neither..

Comment

Working...
                X