Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Falls Short Of 2% For January, AMD CPU Adoption On Linux Hits 70.5%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Falls Short Of 2% For January, AMD CPU Adoption On Linux Hits 70.5%

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Falls Short Of 2% For January, AMD CPU Adoption On Linux Hits 70.5%

With the start of a new month comes the Steam Survey results for the month prior. For January 2024, the reported Steam on Linux marketshare continued falling just short of the 2% threshold...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know if I've ever looked at the "Other Settings" for Linux users. Steam Linux users != Linux users, but some of these were still interesting to me in relation to many long threads here on Phoronix

AVX 97.07% (+0.26%)

AVX2 93.48% (+0.49%)

AVX512CD 6.90% (+0.14%)

Comment

Some things that spring to mind:

Linux user tend to be more privacy conscience and seems to be a big draw for why they use Linux. When you factor in this quote:

Participation in the survey is optional, and anonymous.
      I can't help but feel that the number of Linux users may be underrepresented and/or the number of Windows users may be over-represented.

The fact that Linux users seem to prefer AMD tracks with the general feel of this forum where AMD seems to get significant amounts of love.

Fun with numbers:

Since the survey does not provide any raw data, let's assume a sample size of 10,000 participants.

Win 10 - 51.43% = 5143 users
      Win 11 - 44.24% = 4424 users
      Linux - 1.95% = 195 users

Intel CPU - 68.77% = 6877 users
      AMD CPU - 31.19% = 3119 users

AMD + Linux users = 70.49% of 195 = 137 users, rounded down
      Intel + Linux users = 29.50% of 195 = 56 users, rounded up

AMD + Win = 34.25% of 9567 = 3277 users, rounded up
      Intel + Win = 65.70% of 9567 = 6286 users, rounded up

Would really like to see the raw numbers.
      Last edited by sophisticles; 02 February 2024, 01:04 AM.

Comment

I wonder if ChimeraOS users are automatically bundled into HoloISO users or not counted at all?

Comment

That guy over there, he moved like half a centimeter. I'm sure of it!
          And I think it's definitely important!

Comment

I think Valve in general needs to rework the Steam hardware survey.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88

What is it this time? Russian-Japanese invasion (+0.6% and +0.2, respectively)? Do we treat them like human beings or not, like Chinese who spoil the statistics?

I know that many Linux fans here call steam deck a desktop. But for me it's a handheld game console​, and I'm interested in the Linux desktop/laptop dynamic. So let's count:

AMD AMD Custom GPU 0405: 42.18%
              Linux: 1.95%

So: 1.95% * (1 - 0.42) = 1.13%

A rather average result for a better, free system for 25 years and almost 10 years of presence on steam.
              Yeah, breaking into an established market is not easy, but at least Linux managed to gain this 1.13% market share, average as you said, but better than nothing. Can you remind us what market share Windows has in phones?

Comment

This made me wonder. Would if affect the steam survey if the people that bought steam decks were the exact same people that already did their gaming on linux? I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a large overlap between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by vancha View Post
                  This made me wonder. Would if affect the steam survey if the people that bought steam decks were the exact same people that already did their gaming on linux? I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a large overlap between the two.
                  No, you can only submit survey once per account. I'd even say the opposite is true, people who dual-boot will usually submit the survey from windows, because they run steam from windows mostly.

I got chosen for survey this time around. You basically get a pop-up when you launch steam asking you to join the survey, you can also see all the raw data that will be sent and used in survey.

Comment

Freedom of speech among Linux fans: write the truth resulting from statistics and fans will report the post as spam .

It's like with police statistics in the US. People who use it are racists and should be canceled.

Comment

Working...
                    X