No announcement yet.

Valve Releases Proton 8.0-5 With Many Fixes, More Windows Games Now Playable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Releases Proton 8.0-5 With Many Fixes, More Windows Games Now Playable

Phoronix: Valve Releases Proton 8.0-5 With Many Fixes, More Windows Games Now Playable

Valve has rolled out Proton 8.0-5 as the newest version of their Wine downstream for powering Steam Play to enjoy mass amounts of Windows games to run rather well on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The changelog is massive and makes me wonder how often working titles are breaking due to game and/or OS updates.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
      The changelog is massive and makes me wonder how often working titles are breaking due to game and/or OS updates.
      A lot. I need to play around with different proton versions all the time to get the little games to run, that my kids want to play.
      Last week, it was a, find all the cats in the picture game, that would only show a black screen with the newest proton version.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

A lot. I need to play around with different proton versions all the time to get the little games to run, that my kids want to play.
        Last week, it was a, find all the cats in the picture game, that would only show a black screen with the newest proton version.
        yeah that's what I was thinking about as well.
        Let's say you buy a Steam Deck and you're not opting in for beta/preview OS updates nor any experimental version of Proton or any wine bottles, proton-GE or any of that.
        Just turn it on and install the default stable updates.

Then out of nowhere Baldur's Gate 3 (a triple-A game) starts crashing due to some game update.
        And if you don't do any of the above.. you'll have to wait for Proton 8.0 v5 (stable) to have it working again.
        I praise Valve (and all other parties such as Collabora etc) for lifting gaming on Linux to the next level, but it's not on the PS/Xbox console level yet.
        Last edited by MastaG; 23 January 2024, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Armored Warfare works now again with the new Proton version. since the last Big Game Update it failed to even start the launcher.
          Last edited by Nille; 23 January 2024, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

yeah that's what I was thinking about as well.
            Let's say you buy a Steam Deck and you're not opting in for beta/preview OS updates nor any experimental version of Proton or any wine bottles, proton-GE or any of that.
            Just turn it on and install the default stable updates.

Then out of nowhere Baldur's Gate 3 (a triple-A game) starts crashing due to some game update.
            And if you don't do any of the above.. you'll have to wait for Proton 8.0 v5 (stable) to have it working again.
            I praise Valve (and all other parties such as Collabora etc) for lifting gaming on Linux to the next level, but it's not on the PS/Xbox console level yet.
            Somehow I don't have this problem on Steam Deck. My guess ist that the Deck verified program does mark for a known good proton version for the game and this isn't aktiv for the normal steam client on the desktop.

Comment

Somehow I don't have this problem on Steam Deck. My guess ist that the Deck verified program does mark for a known good proton version for the game and this isn't aktiv for the normal steam client on the desktop.
              I use Lutris as a front end for launching games, and that does let you "pin" particular WINE/Proton/DXVK versions to your game when you find a combination that works well.

Comment

Originally posted by WonkoTheSaneUK View Post

I use Lutris as a front end for launching games, and that does let you "pin" particular WINE/Proton/DXVK versions to your game when you find a combination that works well.
                Steam allows that too

Comment

Don't have a Deck, but games suddenly not playing happens like clockwork on Arch, CachyOS, Manjaro, Fedora, and Tumbleweed in regards to Proton, Steam, and shader cache updates.

Steam isn't smart enough to disable shader caching when Mesa supports ACO and manually disabling the shader cache fixed a lot of my issues in regards to games not playing at random. It isn't that surprising that they don't have those shader issues on a fixed platform...or weird issues on a fixed platform period.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Don't have a Deck, but games suddenly not playing happens like clockwork on Arch, CachyOS, Manjaro, Fedora, and Tumbleweed in regards to Proton, Steam, and shader cache updates.
                    If I'm not mistaken I get shader cache updates for installed games after steam deck updates.

Comment

Working...
                    X