Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine Developers Working To Get 1997 Era "Nuclear Strike" Game Working On Linux In 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

No it is true, not only did the pc port add multiple graphics modes that didn't exist in the PS1 version they also reworked the hud, added waypoints and also added a minimap.
    I first played this on my brother's PlayStation, then bought the PC version in the early 2000's.

I had the PSX version emulated on my Steam Deck, but it didn't write quite feel right. I've been meaning to get the PC version running.

Comment

Nuclear Strike was also released on Nintendo 64, this is pretty interesting, there's a few weird games still on DirectX 5/6/7 that have weird flip buffers and other Direct3D things which were deprecated/removed from later releases. It's one of the reasons why Windows isn't 100% backwards compatible with that 1995-1997 era of gaming. Warhammer: Dark Omen is another game I've been trying to run in WINE for years, it doesn't work because it's from that era and uses some weird flip buffering. I wonder if both games are using the same method for hitting the GPU. WINE's developers are fantastic, it's incredible how much of the Windows stack actually runs in WINE now, it's a mammoth effort.
      Last edited by DMJC; 05 January 2024, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        Make no mistake, Linux security is vastly over-rated,
        Oh, you posted again few security problems that were immediately fixed. Which one is remote? NONE. Thanks for proving how secure Linux is, because security is also about response time to vulnerability. You need to have a point of reference. The reference point is Windows and Linux is light years ahead of Windows in term of security. You seem to enjoy making fun of yourself.

Windows Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP) Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
        Windows Media Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
        Windows Contacts Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
        Windows Scripting Languages Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
        Windows Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

I can do this all the day if you want. There's never ending list of Windows remote execution security holes, but what to expect from joke OS where Internet Explorer is integral part of the system? Now I know you have no clue about Windows either.
        Last edited by Volta; 06 January 2024, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          Instead of going back and forth with everyone and because this article was about Nuclear Strike not how bad Linux security really is, i will end with this:

On the third day of the Pwn2Own hacking contest, security researchers were awarded $185,000 after demonstrating 5 zero-day exploits targeting Windows 11, Ubuntu Desktop, and the VMware Workstation virtualization software.

During the recent Pwn2Own 2020 competition, Manfred Paul ( @_manfp ) of RedRocket CTF used an improper input validation bug in the Linux kernel to go from a standard user to root. Manfred used this bug during the contest to win $30,000 in the Privilege Escalation category. He has gra

Make no mistake, Linux security is vastly over-rated,
          Hello everybody,

I would like to apologize for my posts under nickname "sophisticles" and "hel88".

the thing is, I am very sick person. Schizophrenia with bipolar disorder.
          When I'm on my medication like now, I feel ashamed for the things that I do when not on medication.

For example, when I'm not using my therapy properly I get this crazy tendency to troll on linux forums. For that devious purpose I am using nicknames "sophisticles" and "hel88". under those nicknames I write crazy, insane things. when I am on regular therapy like now, I cannot believe the crap that I wrote under those 2 nicknames.

overall, I would like all of you to know that I don't really mean what I write under those 2 nicknames and also, I love linux, open source and gpl. and yes, microsoft sucks.​

Comment

Working...
          X