Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine Developers Working To Get 1997 Era "Nuclear Strike" Game Working On Linux In 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Developers Working To Get 1997 Era "Nuclear Strike" Game Working On Linux In 2024

Phoronix: Wine Developers Working To Get 1997 Era "Nuclear Strike" Game Working On Linux In 2024

While Wine (and downstreams like Valve's Proton) allow many newer Windows games and applications to run very well on modern Linux systems even when it comes to recent Direct3D 12 games and the like, sometimes it's the older games/apps that can be more of a headache to workaround bugs in the software and other aging relics. One of the latest issues leading to an upstream Linux kernel discussion is over the game Nuclear Strike first published in 1997 for Microsoft Windows 98 in trying to get it running with Wine on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whoa WHOA, spoiler man, I just started playing 2024

Comment

When you can't get stable ABI/API in Linux, you get Win32/Wine.

Comment

Huh. I actually have that game. It's in the bin of hand-me-down discs that I didn't get around to trying out.

Comment

Direct VGA memory access in a Windows game… Well done Nuclear Strike developers…

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            When you can't play windows games on windows anymore you're playing them on Linux. Viruses like you winblows stable ABI very much.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              Its true. Much better to encapsulate all the old sh*t in one place.

Microsoft's Win32/WoW64 does a similar thing but splurges it all over the place.

Comment

Next up chisel emulation to make sure your stone tablet can be produced with linux too.

Comment

that work with emulation from consoles, why people want this working in linux?

I had some of this games in genesis/mega drive console, this look a wast of time but ok

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    that work with emulation from consoles, why people want this working in linux?

I had some of this games in genesis/mega drive console, this look a wast of time but ok
                    Same here. Used to play them with my Dad back when I was a kid. A couple years back I found Nuclear Strike for PSX for sale and used it as a stocking stuffer for him. We played it all of 3 minutes on the PS4 that day and I don't think he's played it since. For him, it didn't hold up as well as he remembered and all I could think was a PC could emulate it better.

Comment

Working...
                    X