Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine Developers Working To Get 1997 Era "Nuclear Strike" Game Working On Linux In 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    I remember that game, loved it, by today's standards it's somewhat simplistic but very entertaining.

Here's the thing for people that want to play Nuclear Strike in 2024, use Windows 10:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This is one of the reasons Windows is such a great OS, it's because even after 27 years and a number of OS restructures, you can still run legacy software with relatively few, if any problems.

Try running any native Linux fame on any Linux distro 27 years after it was released and watch it not run.

Hell, even with new, modern software, Linux has a tendency to break, and here's an example that has driven me up the wall numerous times: Audacity on OpenSuse, either Leap or Tumbleweed.

Install the OS, install Audacity, via repos or flathub, or download the appimage, confirm that t works, then update the OS and confirm that not launch anymore.

Or how about the Linux community make their own games, AstroMenace is a great game, reminiscent of Nuclear Strike, fork that engine, create some new models and create a modern clone of Nuclear Strike.

There's no imagination in the Linux community, instead of innovating and creating something new, they keep trying to show that they are superior to Windows, and Mac OS, by wasting trying to get proprietary software running on Linux how about they put their efforts into creating high quality unique software for Linux?
    There's no centralization of efforts. While it may be seen as an issue for certain aspects, the advantages are far superior and better.

There's both efforts, you should look better at source code and project repositories.

Many projects (such as ScummVM) reimplement game engines and some more (audio hardware emulation and networking support because servers are defunct) to make those games run natively. There's dozens of them and many are quite successful.

You idealize Microsoft ecosystem, seriously.

Wine compatibility is rising a lot these days, in part due to extebsive Valve investment. I'm sure this issue will be eventually solved, worse ones were before.

Comment

Windows on the other hand defaults to an admin account and most users continue using that account all the time. The admin account has root privileges and any software that is run with that account likewise has root privileges, so of course viruses are going to run.
      Last time this was true was Windows XP, that got replaced 20 years ago.

Also, a virus not running at root cannot make your system unbootable, but can steal, delete (or encrypt for ransom) all your precious personal data… The root/user separation only protects from some kind of attacks, but a vast amount of harm can still be done.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
        can someone explain to me why is a painfully slow KVM wine not a option for such old games ? isn't a 4ghz zen1 cpu fast enough if the KVMwine version is used ? i mean really ?
        Haven't looked into this at all, but at a guess they probably want to support whatever dumb stuff this game is doing even for newer modern apps too, where performance would matter. I'd agree they could probably just emulate slow stuff for a 1997 game if that's all they cared about.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

The PC port have better gameplay and graphics than the PS1 and N64 versions, so no.
          It has been decades but i don't believe this is true. The PC port should basically be a PS1 conversion to PC running on garbage APIs of the time like glide. While the PS1 had limited RAM/VRAM and so the PC port should have a little higher resolutions and better texture filtering (those were basically the advantage of running 3dfx vs having a PS1 back in the day) but both the higher resolution and the better texture filtering, along with other goodies, you can add to a modern ps1 emulator anyway....

Better gameplay? How? It was literally the same game. If anything, it controlled better with a gamepad....

Comment

Two things, Nuclear Strike was released in 1997 for Win 9x which using a different architecture than NT based Windows and you also proved my point about Windows legendary reliability with running legacy code.
            The point is about legendary brokenness. Thanks for proving it.

More importantly, you highlighted the biggest weakness of Windows and that is that most problems originate between the keyboard and chair.
            Nope, it applies to examples with Linux.

Linux security stems from the fact that no one actually logs in as root, in fact with Ubuntu based distros the root account is "disabled" by the installer setting the root account password to a ransom string.

Windows on the other hand defaults to an admin account and most users continue using that account all the time. The admin account has root privileges and any software that is run with that account likewise has root privileges, so of course viruses are going to run.
            You could use fewer words: windows is broken by design.

If you log in as root on Fedora and run a shell script that with the line "rm -rf​ /*", what do you think is going to happen?
            What I want?

So yes, if you log in as admin/root viruses, or any poorly coded program, are going to wreck havoc on your system.
            Not only this. It has unfixed design mistakes.

Linux's vaunted security has always been predicated on a lie, it's basically just ACL enforced by default, nothing special, nothing unique.
            It's designed with security in mind. Had proper ASLR ten years before Windows. Mentioning ACL make you look like a clueless noob.

If you want to see how pathetic Linux security is, install Kali Linux, run Metasploit and check out all the exploits that target Linux, at last count there was over a thousand.
            And none of them will work on updated system?

Here's an example from 2021 that allows an user to gain root by exploiting a bug that has existed since 2014:
            You forgot to add bug was discovered in 2021 and fixed in few weeks. This shows how pathetic windows trolls are. Other bugs are fixed immediately as well. Furthermore, some are configuration issues. It was showed to you many times how pathetic windows 'security' is. It's so pathetic it's not fixable. Do I have always repeat the same to windows trolls?

I have always said that Linux users are less knowledgeable than Windows users because they believe the myth of the supposed superior security of Linux.
            It's not a myth, it's a fact.
            Last edited by Volta; 03 January 2024, 05:33 PM.

Comment

sophisticles

It seems I have to repeat myself:

In a shift toward transparency, the National Security Agency announced a bug that could have left over 900 million PCs vulnerable to attack.

As researchers and cyber criminals alike study the vulnerability and rush to develop a hacking tool that takes advantage of it, the scale of the risk to users will become more clear. But a flaw in a crucial cryptographic component of Windows is certainly problematic,

"This is a core, low-level piece of the Windows operating system and one that establishes trust between administrators, regular users, and other computers on both the local network and the internet," says Kenn White, security principal at MongoDB and director of the Open Crypto Audit Project. "If the technology that ensures that trust is vulnerable, there could be catastrophic consequences. But precisely what scenarios and preconditions are required—we're still analyzing. It will be a long day for a lot of Windows administrators around the world."
              And my favorite one:

OPINION: With every Windows release, Microsoft promises better security. And, sometimes, it makes improvements. But then, well then, we see truly ancient security holes show up yet again.

For longer than some of you have been alive, I've been preaching the gospel of using more secure desktop operating systems. You see, Windows has been insecure since 1985's Windows 1.0, really an MS-DOS extension, rolled out the door. Then, as now, there were more secure options. Then it was Unix desktop operating systems. Today it's Linux desktops.​

Why hasn't Microsoft ever gotten its security act together? The fundamental problem is that Windows was never, ever meant to work on a network. It worked as a standalone PC operating system. And, even today, 37 years later, the same pre-internet problems keep showing up. Unix and Linux started with the premise that there's more than one user on the system, and you need to secure accounts and programs from other users, local or remote. This has served these operating systems well.

The Google Threat Analysis Group (TAG) that found it said, "This technique has been widely used to distribute IE exploits via Office files since 2017. Delivering IE exploits via this vector has the advantage of not requiring the target to use Internet Explorer as its default browser."

Oh, guys, it is so, so much older than that. I described this kind of problem in the long-defunct magazine PC Sources in 1992 when I found it in Windows for WorkGroup 3.1. Then, as now, Windows and its native programs treated document data as programming instructions.
              What a joke OS.

Damn, this is even better:

so many REMOTE CODE EXECUTION in 2022!

This one is great:

http://https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2022-41128/

This vulnerability requires that a user with an affected version of Windows access a malicious server.
              Better go offline.
              Last edited by Volta; 03 January 2024, 05:49 PM.

Comment

If you log in as root on Fedora and run a shell script that with the line "rm -rf​ /*", what do you think is going to happen?

Windows has had limited user accounts as far back as I can remember but few people outside of corporate environments use them..
                You should take into account that despite UAC was implemented on Windows Vista and since that you can use a standard user account on Windows, most Windows software including games assume you are running it under an admin account, also UAC has many issues that were never fixed and we could say that it is broken by design, because there are programs that don't work at al if you aren't logged into an admin account, such as Android """emulators""".

What i am saying is that while a standard user account should be the default account due to security reasons, unfortunately that is not possible due to those issues, when using a standard user account on Windows you are going to face a lot of compatibility issues. issues that don't happen with their counterparts on other operating systems, see games that don't start, apps with broken functionality, apps that you cannot find in the start menu even though you can install them when escalating permissions via UAC dialogs, and apps that you cannot install because you are not in an admin account. Meanwhile on UNIX-like operating systems that doesn't happen because from the beginning these systems had proper multi-user features. Not for nothing UNIX is the HTML5 of operating systems, it is the historic standard for the design of OSes in general, and Windows is the Flash Player of OSes for obvious reasons (lol)​
                Last edited by Nozo; 03 January 2024, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Nothing. You forgot --no-preserve-root

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Haven't looked into this at all, but at a guess they probably want to support whatever dumb stuff this game is doing even for newer modern apps too, where performance would matter. I'd agree they could probably just emulate slow stuff for a 1997 game if that's all they cared about.
                    right for a 1997 game this KVM-Wine version should work for 4ghz zen1 cpus... i do not know what other stuff they need it for what maybe could need more performance. but then you have to ask if they need more performance why not suggest buy new hardware for that anyway ?
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

It has been decades but i don't believe this is true. The PC port should basically be a PS1 conversion to PC running on garbage APIs of the time like glide. While the PS1 had limited RAM/VRAM and so the PC port should have a little higher resolutions and better texture filtering (those were basically the advantage of running 3dfx vs having a PS1 back in the day) but both the higher resolution and the better texture filtering, along with other goodies, you can add to a modern ps1 emulator anyway....

Better gameplay? How? It was literally the same game. If anything, it controlled better with a gamepad....
                      No it is true, not only did the pc port add multiple graphics modes that didn't exist in the PS1 version they also reworked the hud, added waypoints and also added a minimap.

Comment

Working...
                      X