No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux At Nearly 2% For Ending Out 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe all those Microsoft Windows 10 laptops and desktops that cannot be upgraded to Win11 will get reinstalled with linux rather than go to landfill?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

don't feed the troll. HEL88 never comes up with a proper argument.
      What, birdie switched nicknames again? Or is it a new Linux hater this time?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

What, birdie switched nicknames again? Or is it a new Linux hater this time?
        He makes the same first post everytime. He's got to be seething just waiting for the first of the month Steam numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
          "SteamOS Holo" 40.53%.
          Linux 1.97%

Let's see how much a Linux laptop/desktop has:
          1.97 * (1-0.4) = 1,182 %

Good result. In 10 years Linux desktop will reach 2% .​
          I am not sure the math works that way, captain. The Steam Deck was released on 25th February 2022, so you should calculate the ramp (rate of increase) from 0% on 25th February 2022 to 1.182% today.

Also, the Steam Deck is not launching a whole new ecosystem of apps and games like Windows Phone tried and failed to do. SteamOS is mostly win32-compatible, so it needs to become popular enough that the small incompatibilities are treated as bugs. Some game developers are already doing that.

Comment

If you take a look at the language numbers at GamingOnLinux.com under their SteamTracker. https://www.gamingonlinux.com/steam-tracker/ You can see that there is a bit more English language users in the survey and a bit less Simplified Chinese language users. That probably explains the tiny bump at the end of the year given that the percentage of Chinese gamers that use Linux is significantly less. YOY growth is still going to be the most reliable indicator.

Also remember, they used to count PC sales and Laptop sales separately until Intel started taking a significant hit in PC sales. After that, they started lumping the numbers together as there was no significant difference in experience between laptop and PC anymore. It's the same with Linux Desktop and Steam Deck. They both use the same userland. Sales in either segment will help both segments. "The rising tide lifts all ship".

Comment

In my case, my year Steam review reported that I moved from Windows to a SteamDeck.

But in reality, I moved to ChimeraOS, so its interesting to see more info there.

Comment

Originally posted by highball View Post
                https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market...ktop/worldwide

For those of you aren't interested in fuzzy math.
                That's:

Linux
                3.82%
                Chrome OS
                2.42%​

By the way, I'm trying to add an image (a graph) but Phoronix says that my quota is full. Does anyone know how to free that?​

Comment

Originally posted by highball View Post
                  https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market...ktop/worldwide

For those of you aren't interested in fuzzy math.
                  That link is blocked by uMatrix. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
                    Maybe all those Microsoft Windows 10 laptops and desktops that cannot be upgraded to Win11 will get reinstalled with linux rather than go to landfill?
                    Microsoft is already into the phase where they relax their fake restrictions to gain marketshare. They are going to cause e-waste, but not quite as much as they made it look like. As for people switching to Linux when Microsoft tells them to buy new hardware... most people don't know they can do that, and the rest are too lazy. To generalize slightly. There are people who just don't like the idea of Linux, and they will continue to get keylogged. Past that, the fact that most 'PCs' are vendor-built trash doesn't help anyone who actually wants to put in the effort.

I agree that people should switch. And they can do so. Every single user can learn how and do it or get someone to do it for them. But something is going to have to open a whole bunch of minds at once to turn should and can into did.

Comment

playing on linux with steam is now so good that I'm surprised if a game has a slight issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X