FEX 2312 Brings More Optimizations For Running x86_64 Games/Apps On AArch64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEX 2312 Brings More Optimizations For Running x86_64 Games/Apps On AArch64

Phoronix: FEX 2312 Brings More Optimizations For Running x86_64 Games/Apps On AArch64

The newest monthly release of FEX is now available for this open-source project that allows running x86_64 games and applications on 64-bit ARM (AArch64) Linux environments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow reading that they're now getting games to be GPU limited rather than CPU limited is amazing.
    I'm no developer, but I think FEX is trying to get a much more structured code base compared to box64 so it benefits in the long run.

Comment

Wish they'd support RISC-V like box64.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
        Wish they'd support RISC-V like box64.
        Why? The overall count of 5 Risc-V devices which are able to launch a game(real gaming is another subject) do not justify support at all at this stage. Perhaps in 5 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
          Wow reading that they're now getting games to be GPU limited rather than CPU limited is amazing.
          I'm no developer, but I think FEX is trying to get a much more structured code base compared to box64 so it benefits in the long run.
          The big advantage of FEX over box86/64 is the fact that it runs as 64 bit process with 32 bit to 64 bit thunks. So not only it can run 32 bit software without the need of 32 bit libraries but also can work on ARM CPUs without 32 bit support like Apple Silicon. Unlike x86 where backwards compatibility with 32 bit and even 16 bit is mandatory on new 64 bit CPUs (although there are plans to introduce 64 bit architecture based on x86 but without legacy stuff), on ARM 32 bit compatibility is optional on 64 bit CPUs so not all of them are capable of executing 32 bit code natively. FEX can work with that, box86 can't. I believe that box86/64 developer has plans to also support that with box32 project but it's not there yet so for now if you need 32 bit code on 64 bit only ARM CPU then FEX is your only choice.

Comment

Working...
          X