Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Godot 4.2 Released With More Stability Improvements, Improved Rendering & AMD FSR 2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 4.2 Released With More Stability Improvements, Improved Rendering & AMD FSR 2.2

Phoronix: Godot 4.2 Released With More Stability Improvements, Improved Rendering & AMD FSR 2.2

The year began with Godot 4.0 making its much anticipated debut and now this open-source game engine project is ending out 2023 with Godot 4.2 as the second revision to the Godot 4.x engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The year is 2030. Godot is about to get wayland support, right after GIMP 3 releases.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
      The year is 2030. Godot is about to get wayland support, right after GIMP 3 releases.
      Not unexpected. Some things will always be third class citizens.
      For example, a spreadsheet program should have minimal memory leaks. A web server should NOT have memory leaks. A computer game leaking a lot of memory is not necessarily an issue. A game production application that end users won't see will prioritize limiting crashes, unexpected behavior, and things of that sort only.

As far as GIMP is concerned, do keep in mind that this is a volunteer project and very much in need of more volunteers. Be happy there is even an unready GTK3 port. No one forced them to give you software for free. They do so out of the goodness of their hearts. They likely are even unaware of most regressions in GIMP 2.99.

As far as the whole ecosystem is involved, again keep in mind that open sourcing software won't automatically bring in an army of developers frantically volunteering their time.

Having said that, I would personally just release GIMP 3.0.0 as incomplete (The Microsoft Way) but warn against using it too soon. The ones who aren't smart enough to adhere to the warning or don't use in production will likely submit bug reports for the large number of crashes it still has.

Edit: So...yeah...don't troll giveaways...
      Last edited by ClosedSource; 30 November 2023, 11:57 AM.

Comment

This is not only unnecessarily spiteful, but also wrong, the current estimation is to add the Wayland backend in 4.3: https://github.com/godotengine/godot...ent-1820701246

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post
          Having said that, I would personally just release GIMP 3.0.0 as incomplete (The Microsoft Way) but warn against using it too soon.
          Why do you think they didn't? There are development builds since ages, I don't remember the last time I've used Gimp 2 to be honest.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

And you're whining about this after contributing how much code to these open source projects?

Comment

Works fine in wayland under KDE, Gnome, and Hyprland from what I have used, and as said before 4.3 is the expected support.

Comment

Godot is a gem. This is a prime example that a complex modern software can still be very light, very polished and not be made with thousands of dependencies.

Does anyone know when they will have a mesh shader with camera culling system (Unreal Nanite eq) ready? They were mentioning it a year ago ish.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Why do you think they didn't? There are development builds since ages, I don't remember the last time I've used Gimp 2 to be honest.
                  That's what I was saying. These are development builds. I've been using them too. This means they haven't released GIMP 3.0.0, so I was suggesting they go the Microsoft way and release it anyway just to harvest bug reports.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post
                    Having said that, I would personally just release GIMP 3.0.0 as incomplete (The Microsoft Way) but warn against using it too soon. The ones who aren't smart enough to adhere to the warning or don't use in production will likely submit bug reports for the large number of crashes it still has.
                    Because this is extremely close to being the "KDE 4.0" debacle

(Slightly more info: KDE had the "genius" -- -- idea of using the .0 release of the 4 series as an API freeze instead of a fully stabilized release. In fairness to the KDE project, they communicated this very loud and very clear, but it wasn't nearly loud and/or clear enough for many distros which released their stable versions with KDE 4.0 and hilarity ensued[1])

[1]: I was in uni when all of this happened. Kubuntu 8.04 did the extremely reasonable thing of releasing with the very last 3.x version, while offering 4.0[2] on the repos/special ISO. Kubuntu 8.10 did the room-temperature-in-Celsius IQ move of releasing with 4.0~4.1. Kubuntu 9.04 released with 4.2, which was the first 4.x release I dailied, and it was fine. (A buddy of mine got burnt in 8.10 -- which I remember was pretty bad on all editions, and bad even for a post-LTS *buntu release -- and ended up buying a Mac).
                    [2]: Might have been the a Beta version, can't quite remember and am not bothered enough to go look it up

Comment

Working...
                    X