Steam Linux Usage Dropped Lower In October But With More Questionable Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Dropped Lower In October But With More Questionable Data

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Dropped Lower In October But With More Questionable Data

Valve just published their October 2023 stats for the monthly Steam Survey and they point to a nearly quarter point drop in the Linux usage after previously hitting its own highs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    With these nubmers

Comment

Has there, to date, been a month where Steam's Linux data hasn't been "questionable"?

Comment

Steam survey will not be accurate until its run on 100% of active devices.

And i dont even know if my ChimeraOS system is counted at all, since i havent seen one survey there, neither on my win11 drive, when swapped.

Comment

Yep. typical Linux fan logic:

Steam survey results are always questionable unless there is a notable increase in Linux users. Then it's all rainbows and unicorns.

Comment

I think reason to the skewed statistics is that they don't seem to use all user telemetry every month. It seems to be random

Comment

So, When Survey represents the true percentage to users (Given that Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world) It will be questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Yep. typical Linux fan logic:

Steam survey results are always questionable unless there is a notable increase in Linux users. Then it's all rainbows and unicorns.
                We did question the numbers when Linux percentage jumped to close to 2% out of nowhere. Maybe you just remember what you want to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                  So, When Survey represents the true percentage to users (Given that Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world) It will be questionable.
                  It's not about how widely spoken Mandarin is; it's about why those Mandarin speakers all of a sudden decided to all jump on Steam. It's not like Mandarin localization was added to Steam in October.

Comment

The survey is shit: I've basically never got it before and recently I've got it ten times in a row when trying different properties for my steam dataset.
                    Basically every single time I flushed the steam profile and reopened the steam client I've got it.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X