Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamVR 2.0 Officially Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: SteamVR 2.0 Officially Released With Many Improvements

For those wishing to interact with Steam from virtual reality (VR) headsets, today Valve promoted SteamVR 2.0 to stable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who's hyped for Deckard?

Comment

Michael
      With the latest SteamVR 2.0.8 revision there is also upgrading t o the Steam Linux Runtime 3.0​

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
      Who's hyped for Deckard?
      It's hard to be hyped over rumors. Once there's an actual product I may or may not get hyped. My only hope is that they figure out how to give it the same or more functionality as the Index for less than a grand else I'll end up getting a 21:9 1440p for around $500 to go with my TrackIR stuff since TrackIR is a bit annoying on a 4K TV across the room. $750-$850 would be a price range that I'd very seriously consider for a Deckard.

I really hope Valve says something before Black Friday sales kick into gear. I've already seen monitor prices increase over the past week only for them to drop in another week or three.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 25 October 2023, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Does this one require the Steam DRM platform to be activated and running in order for it to work?

Comment

People are still doing VR? I though everyone had already moved on to AI for their fad-of-the-year

Comment

This is awesome news! I am a huge fan of the Valve VR ecosystem. I have had the original HTC Vive for many years now and use it quite regularly for entertainment. Its long in the tooth and needs to be upgraded but it still works.

I think the future of VR is much more than a fad, it has some really interesting use cases. I have played around with an experimental VR desktop and it was a mind blowing experience! If we can solve the resolution problem, especially around text rendering it will be a very interesting way to interact with computers and content.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
              People are still doing VR? I though everyone had already moved on to AI for their fad-of-the-year
              Screw AI and DLSS and FSR and all crap. 2023 has become the year of the unoptimized game because we'll let some AI or upscaler or whatever make up for our lack of programming skills. AI and algorithms can only fix not using the correct resolution so much. Aside from TrackIR across the room, that's the other reason I want a 1440p ultrawide monitor. All the ghosting and shimmering from using upscaling tech on a 4K TV can really suck sometimes and my system is more than capable of 1440p 21:9, 3440x1440, with FreeSync Premium.

People are just starting to do VR. Until the PSVR2, quality VR cost people at least $3000. The PSVR2 is $1500 after you factor in the PSVR2, a PS5, and an NVMe upgrade and/or an external SSD. Since a mid-range, VR capable PC runs at least $1500 these days, the entire PSVR2 cost, I'm hoping the Deckard has a lower cost of entry than the Index while still managing to offer all the premium features the Index is known.

Anything affordable in VR, like a PSVR1, has been the fad-of-the-year gimmick. VR tech is just now becoming something that's both affordable while not completely sucking.

Comment

It is a nice idea, but as a background 150 inch TV, but for that there is not production ready GPU for such crazy thing. Walking on the street and looking into some shit is Matrix business... Computers had an idea that they will dominate the human destiny and humans will do what they wish or don't, but Hollywood is ahead of them... Facebook sunken VR costs must wait for better opportunity, but maybe is something on this and Hollywood agrees...

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                  The Quest 2 was the most successful VR device ever released, and Meta recently launched the rather impressive Quest 3, with a much stronger XR focus. Apple's releasing their XR headset early next year, and we could see Valve's new headset any day now. Big issues were always the tether and the isolation, those two problems have been largely solved. With the Quest 3, you just double-tap the headset to get in and out of VR (with Apple Vision Pro, it's a dial on the headset). That's a much bigger deal than it might appear, and it's only really feasible for stand-alone devices. I notice a lot more activity on the software side of things, too. We're still not quite there yet for mass adoption, but as the devices get smaller and lighter and pass-through gets better, we're slowly getting there in my opinion. Bigscreen has already demonstrated that you can mass produce tiny and light headsets that still provide excellent image quality and resolution, and a competitive FoV.

Comment

I still can't get it to launch for me. https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Ste...nux/issues/618

Comment

Working...
                    X