O3DE 23.10 Released With Many Improvements To This Open-Source Game Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    What gane used this overfunded crap abandoned bullshit from the failed Amazon Game Studios? With Linux Foundation money, of course.
    You have no idea what you are talking about.

Amazon has it's own priorities, and a company totally inexperienced in gaming development. I'm sure it wasn't the game engine's fault and infact it would have been the last of their worries. Crytek was crumbling so they needed emergency money to stay afloat and managed to sell soul-selling CryEngine licensing, losing control on future modification, re-licensing, sub-licensing, etc. This is why Amazon could modify their copy of CryEngine .. 3.X or what was it at the time, make derivatives of, rename it to Lumberyard and modify it's code and even remove Crytek's copyright notices, basically owning it as if it was their own engine, which includes ofcourse just re-licensing it. I'm not sure what royalties or anything Amazon had to pay to Crytek to make Lumberyard into re-licensing and O3DE, we don't ofcourse know the full details of the arrangement I think. (and I didn't fully inspect the Crytek leaks)

I suggest Phoronix could make a mention in the next O3DE article, or even an update to this existing one to remind people this is actually CryEngine under the hood, (screenshot this) if you go to O3DE's github and search for "cry" or "crytek" you'll see references in the code to "CryCommon", "CryHooksModule", "CRY_ASSERT", however as they're maintaining and improving the engine, subsequent versions have less and less of the legacy code and so these Cry references get rewritten out. I checked yesterday and there's still two instances of "crysis" mentioned. Perhaps they should leave some references for historical "omage" or "easter egg" type of purpose.

Loosening up wasn't that of an issue anymore since things were going open-source with Epic Games spearheading the way, Crytek later made their own standard CryEngine open-source and with a different revenue model too.

Linux communities are far less likely to know the whole story on this because this wasn't linux news and linux news probably didn't follow any of this closely, it's mostly PC gamer (Windows) type of news so I was following the story closely for years. Now that (a heavily modified) version of CryEngine managed to get into the hands of the Linux-type open-source community, things will obviously be different for the platform. In comparison, Epic Game's Unreal Engine is a different kind of open-source arrangement, with custom licensing, I'm not in a mood to explain all that, it's all explained on Epic's websites.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      Let's be honest with ourselves, this game engine is a toy, meant to be used by a hobbyist to make a free game.
      Well the https://deadhaussonata.com/ game looks like Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights from 2002. So only a bit over 20 years behind the competition. There are still old people playing those legacy games. Back then open source couldn't render OpenGL that well. It's nice if modern RTX 4090 Ti can run games that originally required Geforce 2.

Comment

Nice improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Well the https://deadhaussonata.com/ game looks like Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights from 2002. So only a bit over 20 years behind the competition. There are still old people playing those legacy games. Back then open source couldn't render OpenGL that well. It's nice if modern RTX 4090 Ti can run games that originally required Geforce 2.
          You say that like it's a bad thing. For me, Morrowind is still the best Elder Scrolls game and Vice City is one of the best GTA games (San Andreas from 2004 is the best). Super Mario World from 1990 still holds up because it's such a good game. I remember when we'd get a GTA game every 2 years. Now it seems like it's one GTA per decade. Better graphics aren't always all they're cracked up to be.

Even in 2006, seeing the open world in Oblivion for the first time made me go "Wow, that's pretty", but I was still upset that prettiness came at the cost of losing flying and the open world to cities transitions that Morrowind had.

I'm not the greatest fan of modern gaming, 47 patches, and not getting the real, true, polished, intended version of a game until 2 to 4 years after it launches only to repeat the cycle with AAA Studio's next big release that comes with less stuff than the previous versions of the series, but, hey, it's pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by wsippel View Post

Amazon's New World, Cloud Imperium's Star Citizen and Squadron 42 (technically, though they use a heavily customized version), and a few smaller titles. O3DE is the successor to Lumberyard, which is a fork of CryEngine, so it has quite a pedigree overall.
            No AAA game uses O3DE, just extremely heavily modified forks from far away former codebases years ago before this iteration existed.

So my loint is quite valid. They give us trash and make us pretend to think it's a treasure. Epic or others won't allow to make it better than their commercial offerings

Epic has Unreal Engine, this crap "foundation" has hidden interests. Too much big corps on it, it smells really bad.
            Last edited by timofonic; 11 October 2023, 07:07 PM.

Comment

[..] Too [many] big corps on it, it smells really bad.
              Experienced people try to avoid vendor lock-ins. Big companies, too. There may be other reasons.

Comment

No AAA game uses O3DE, just extremely heavily modified forks from far away former codebases years ago before this iteration existed.

So my loint is quite valid. They give us trash and make us pretend to think it's a treasure. Epic or others won't allow to make it better than their commercial offerings

Epic has Unreal Engine, this crap "foundation" has hidden interests. Too much big corps on it, it smells really bad.
                No AAA game is developed in such short time. Since O3DE is opensourced, there was little time for company to pick it as their next AAA game engine. New World and Star Citizen I would count tho as they are made on engine before opensourcing happened.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

No AAA game is developed in such short time. Since O3DE is opensourced, there was little time for company to pick it as their next AAA game engine. New World and Star Citizen I would count tho as they are made on engine before opensourcing happened.
                  So no code contributions from these commercial projects back to O3DE, so not relevant at all. Mentioning them is like astroturfing to me.

Comment

So no code contributions from these commercial projects back to O3DE, so not relevant at all. Mentioning them is like astroturfing to me.
                    I assume a lot of code was contributed back from New World as essentially same Amazon used that engine and open sourced it. Star Citizen probably not, but it proves engine is capable.

In fact O3DE is something I would call truly modern engine, in fact it doesn't even support OpenGL or DX11(and older). All works on Vulkan/DX12/Metal only. Even mobile targets are Vulkan based.

Comment

How does this compare to GODOT for game developers?

Comment

Working...
                      X