O3DE 23.10 Released With Many Improvements To This Open-Source Game Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O3DE 23.10 Released With Many Improvements To This Open-Source Game Engine

Phoronix: O3DE 23.10 Released With Many Improvements To This Open-Source Game Engine

Back in July of last year the Open 3D Engine (O3DE) engine launched as part of the Open 3D Foundation and initially was a spin-out of Amazon's Lumberyard game engine. Out this week is O3DE 23.10 as the newest half-year update to this project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What gane used this overfunded crap abandoned bullshit from the failed Amazon Game Studios? With Linux Foundation money, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      What gane used this overfunded crap abandoned bullshit from the failed Amazon Game Studios? With Linux Foundation money, of course.
      I found Deadhaus Sonata on the O3DE showcase page. It seems to be the only thing there that isn't a tech demo an AI middleware (that Deadhaus Sonata uses).

I wouldn't be surprised if there are other games using it. Epic is pumping money into it and it and Tencent/Lightspeed Studios is a member. I've always found it ironic that the Open3D Engine and Foundation are founded and funded by quite a few companies that have traditionally been Linux and Open hostile.

Because Microsoft and Epic are the first companies that come to mind when I think about Linux gaming

Valve and Feral, FTW

Comment

I hope this engine find its success too like godot.
        The world is not too small for 2 open source game engines.

Comment

New World?

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
            I hope this engine find its success too like godot.
            The world is not too small for 2 open source game engines.
            If you want to make a triple A game, you can use this one, with that logic, Godot should be focusing to polish features for indie games.

Comment

Let's be honest with ourselves, this game engine is a toy, meant to be used by a hobbyist to make a free game.

You will never see anyone make a game like M1K, RE4 Remake, Red Dead Redemption 2 or anything along these lines.

Personally i miss the good old Dark Basic days, that was a really cool language and fame development tool. I remember making my own FPS using FPS Creator.

When the whole Dark Basic suite was released as open source I had hopes that it would be ported to run on Linux, or at least someone would decide to take it to the next level, but sadly it seems it's a dead project.

Just like O3DE should be.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                Let's be honest with ourselves, this game engine is a toy, meant to be used by a hobbyist to make a free game.
                I mean you are not wrong, the only companies that makes a business out of game development are the big publishers. Literally swallow up small studios and spit out (fire) developers to gain short term capital and then literally brag about the gain.

The reason you are right is because game development is a hobby and should be a hobby (not saying it's impossible to make your hobbies into a professional job), it is why indie games succeeds more times than big companies making AAA games, that is just code for spending too much money on development and/or marketing (ads).

When the whole Dark Basic suite was released as open source I had hopes that it would be ported to run on Linux, or at least someone would decide to take it to the next level, but sadly it seems it's a dead project.

Just like O3DE should be.
                The benefits about open sourcing is that it's literally out there as a history buff for historians. Not everything needs to be developed on but it's up for grabs if needed (rather having that choice than being proprietary and forgotten because some executive just accidentally removed the project without knowing how, coughUbisoftcough).
                Last edited by Sethox; 11 October 2023, 02:27 AM.

Comment

You will never see anyone make a game like M1K, RE4 Remake, Red Dead Redemption 2 or anything along these lines.
                  I wouldn't say that. For example, had it been available 12 years ago, i'd say it's not too crazy to say that Star Citizen probably would have been based on this (and probably even given back at least some of their improvements to cryengine/lumberyard). Sure, it won't attract 'classic' AAA developers - at least not at first. But the bigger the studio is, the less reliant they are on 'full serivce' engine offerings (unity marketplace and so on).

Comment

Amazon's New World, Cloud Imperium's Star Citizen and Squadron 42 (technically, though they use a heavily customized version), and a few smaller titles. O3DE is the successor to Lumberyard, which is a fork of CryEngine, so it has quite a pedigree overall.

Comment

Working...
                    X