Valve Releases Proton 8.0-4 As A Big Improvement For Windows Gaming On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
    Diablo IV is coming to steam in 10 days looks like they worked on the issues with battle.net client with steam because of that.
    I've never understood the appeal of the Diablo games. Friends talked me into both 1 and 2 back in the day and it was just kill hoard, walk 5 ft, kill hoard, kill boss, random loot, repeat, repeat, repeat. Based on what I've seen of game play footage of IV, it seems like a prettier version that follows the same formula.

...or the entire "Souls-like" genera. I don't get those either. Killed and resurrected is such a bad game mechanic. That's the old-school "I grew up playing games made in the 80s" mentality where you had 1-3 lives that you had to use wisely or a single life bar and it was game over if you took too much damage while if you were 1337 and didn't suck at games you could fill up your hearts so you can shoot your sword with powers.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I've never understood the appeal of the Diablo games. Friends talked me into both 1 and 2 back in the day and it was just kill hoard, walk 5 ft, kill hoard, kill boss, random loot, repeat, repeat, repeat. Based on what I've seen of game play footage of IV, it seems like a prettier version that follows the same formula.

...or the entire "Souls-like" genera. I don't get those either. Killed and resurrected is such a bad game mechanic. That's the old-school "I grew up playing games made in the 80s" mentality where you had 1-3 lives that you had to use wisely or a single life bar and it was game over if you took too much damage while if you were 1337 and didn't suck at games you could fill up your hearts so you can shoot your sword with powers.
      Same for me.

I remember the pretty shots in magazines plus the non stop hype, but when i played Diablo 1 was bored and couldn’t continue after around one hour.

Never tried again since.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        The Souls style games are basically the old school coin-operated arcade games coming back. Or more specifically, the ones that'd specifically try to make your character die as often and regularly as possible in a kind of "trial and error" gameplay loop designed to get you to spend as many quarters as you can possibly spare.

Similarly to those games they're not hard, once you know the correct process they're actually fairly easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Democrab View Post

The Souls style games are basically the old school coin-operated arcade games coming back. Or more specifically, the ones that'd specifically try to make your character die as often and regularly as possible in a kind of "trial and error" gameplay loop designed to get you to spend as many quarters as you can possibly spare.

Similarly to those games they're not hard, once you know the correct process they're actually fairly easy.
          So they're like Mega Man. Funny. I like Mega Man.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

I do not care about academic studies, which concentrate on theory and synthetics most of the time. Some aspects of Linux OS might be and probably are far more performant, but at the end of the day the practical difference in gaming performance is what matters the most. At this point we have no empirical evidences that disappointing 15W mode ZEN4 performance is Windows fault. Quite contrary, Phoronix benchmarks show that generally Windows 11 is even faster than Ubuntu 23.04/Linux6.4: https://phoronix.com/benchmark/resul...araw1vlgp.svgz

Windows background tasks might cause inconsistencies in frame times, but not the low average performance. I/O is not that critical for averages either. Not to mention Linux has an extra translation layer in graphic stack. Perhaps Z1 firmware is not fine-tuned for ultra-low power mode or something like that, but that's not windows problem.
            I'm sorry but benchmarks quite often translate into practice. If that can help, I definitely felt a tremendous difference on web development between LAMP and WAMP, the former being fine, the latter being unexploitable in comparison, and that was the initial reason why I investigated internet to see how I could improve and fell upon the articles explaining the I/O difference and their impact on performance. Among other things.

And I love how, to make a counterpoint, you quote a suite of benchmarks which are very much "academic studies" (since those tests each cater to a very specific operation or operation set, so by essence not really representative of daily use).

Comment

Originally posted by Citan View Post
              I'm sorry but benchmarks quite often translate into practice.
              If benchmarking is done using practical workloads and usecases, then sure. What I meant is academic research and/or benchmarking which focuses on very narrow aspects of the systems, for example, execution time of particular system calls(s). This may not (and often does not) accurately represent practical impact in practical scenarios, especially if we talk about wide range of applications and average performance in them, like we do in the context of gaming.

I definitely felt a tremendous difference on web development between LAMP and WAMP, the former being fine, the latter being unexploitable in comparison, and that was the initial reason why I investigated internet to see how I could improve and fell upon the articles explaining the I/O difference and their impact on performance.

LAMP and WAMP is entirely different topic. We are talking about gaming.

And I love how, to make a counterpoint, you quote a suite of benchmarks which are very much "academic studies" (since those tests each cater to a very specific operation or operation set, so by essence not really representative of daily use).

Benchmarks I quoted show how Windows 11 and Ubuntu generally compares in gaming performance on Z1E using different power modes. These benchmarks are not perfect, but if the problem was "Windows fault" it would be reflected in those benchmarks at least to some extent. However, it's not the case.

I do not use Windows and I do not like this OS, just generalizing and attributing lower than expected 15W performance to "Windows fault" is not accurate.

Comment

Working...
              X