Valve Releases Proton 8.0-4 As A Big Improvement For Windows Gaming On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flower View Post
    (adding a small rant that cyberpunk always thinks that I use a game pad when running with proton. Isn't related but it *really* sucks. I don't even have one connected)
    That's a game bug that was fixed in the 2.01 patch that was released yesterday. It's not a proton issue, some Windows users had it too. Just update the game and you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
      That's a game bug that was fixed in the 2.01 patch that was released yesterday. It's not a proton issue, some Windows users had it too. Just update the game and you're good to go.
      i did update it yesterday and my game still thinks i use a controller and i can't switch to keyboard

Comment

i did update it yesterday and my game still thinks i use a controller and i can't switch to keyboard
        Funny. I have the opposite problem. I use a PS5 controller and it alternates as being detected as a keyboard or Xbox controller so my prompts are never for the controller in my hand. I ended up having to use a force PS5 icon mod.

I hope we get the FSR 3 update sooner than later. I'm hoping that my 6700XT will maybe, somehow, be able to pull off low end RT settings with frame generation.

Comment

Seems you're not the only one: https://steamcommunity.com/app/10915...8032467527442/

2.01 does work for me, and I used a hack with 2.0. The hack won't work on 2.01 though, the file that needs to be hexedited has changed. Try disabling Steam Input for the game. Beyond that, make noise on the Steam Forums and Reddit, and report to CDPR if they have an official bug report page. They need to know that the fix doesn't work for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Citan View Post

It probably is though, to some extent. After all, there have been studies around the web displaying how abysmal I/O speed is between Windows and Linux by default, as well as the different overhead of Windows in terms of background process and memory (which rather impacts the battery but can impact the performance if you play intensive games) and network (always some things moving in the background).

That said, I suppose (hope) Asus did ask for Microsoft engineer's help to optimize their version.
            I do not care about academic studies, which concentrate on theory and synthetics most of the time. Some aspects of Linux OS might be and probably are far more performant, but at the end of the day the practical difference in gaming performance is what matters the most. At this point we have no empirical evidences that disappointing 15W mode ZEN4 performance is Windows fault. Quite contrary, Phoronix benchmarks show that generally Windows 11 is even faster than Ubuntu 23.04/Linux6.4: https://phoronix.com/benchmark/resul...araw1vlgp.svgz

Windows background tasks might cause inconsistencies in frame times, but not the low average performance. I/O is not that critical for averages either. Not to mention Linux has an extra translation layer in graphic stack. Perhaps Z1 firmware is not fine-tuned for ultra-low power mode or something like that, but that's not windows problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              Seems you're not the only one: https://steamcommunity.com/app/10915...8032467527442/

2.01 does work for me, and I used a hack with 2.0. The hack won't work on 2.01 though, the file that needs to be hexedited has changed. Try disabling Steam Input for the game. Beyond that, make noise on the Steam Forums and Reddit, and report to CDPR if they have an official bug report page. They need to know that the fix doesn't work for everyone.
              Well... i looked to fast. it now works with my keyboard. it's only the settings page that doesnt show keyboard controls. so i cant rebind any keys. anyway: thats good enough for me

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

I do not care about academic studies, which concentrate on theory and synthetics most of the time. Some aspects of Linux OS might be and probably are far more performant, but at the end of the day the practical difference in gaming performance is what matters the most. At this point we have no empirical evidences that disappointing 15W mode ZEN4 performance is Windows fault. Quite contrary, Phoronix benchmarks show that generally Windows 11 is even faster than Ubuntu 23.04/Linux6.4: https://phoronix.com/benchmark/resul...araw1vlgp.svgz

Windows background tasks might cause inconsistencies in frame times, but not the low average performance. I/O is not that critical for averages either. Not to mention Linux has an extra translation layer in graphic stack. Perhaps Z1 firmware is not fine-tuned for ultra-low power mode or something like that, but that's not windows problem.
                Either you are comparing SteamOS or the messed up Ubuntu. This is not about academic studies, but reality.

Comment

It has almost nothing to do with the specific Linux distribution or alleged Windows "fault". It has almost everything to do with the fact that in Z1 case 15W shared budget is used to power ~25bil transistors instead ~6bil and ZEN4/RDNA3 do not have higher enough IPC to offer better efficiency at limited clocks. That's the reality.

Comment

- Fixed regressions that appeared in the Proton 8.0 branch and caused problems in Have a Nice Death, Resident Evil 4 (2005), Makai Kingdom: Reclaimed and Rebound, Echo, and Scrap Mechanic. Fixed a regression causing problems when hot-plugging game controllers due to race condition.

- Added support for games that previously only worked in the Proton Experimental branch:

Arthurian Legends
                    CHAOS CODE -NEW SIGN OF CATSTROPHE-
                    EverQuest 2
                    Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
                    Songs for a Hero - Definitive Edition
                    STAR WARS Knights of the Old Republic II
                    The Longest Journey

- Problems in games and apps have been resolved:

Overwatch 2
                    Battle.net
                    EA Desktop
                    Baldur's Gate 3
                    Street Fighter 6
                    Garry's Mod, Dark Souls II, Aura: Fate of the Ages and Train Simulator
                    Empyrion - Galactic Survival
                    Secret of Mana
                    Aura: Fate of the Ages
                    Dwarf Fortress
                    Stray
                    System Shock (2023)
                    Dead By Daylight,
                    Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun.
                    Final Fantasy XIII
                    Locoland
                    Rainbow Six Extraction
                    Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation
                    Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
                    Age of Empires IV
                    Age of Wonders 4's Paradox Launcher
                    Ubisoft Connect
                    Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition.
                    Ship of Fools
                    Mamashroom and The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales
                    Dark Parables: The Exiled Prince Collector's Edition

- Enabled nvapi support in games:

Alone in the Dark
                    Atomic Heart
                    Baldur's Gate 3
                    Demonologist
                    Desordre
                    Doge Simulator
                    Icarus
                    Layers of Fear
                    Portal Prelude RTX
                    Rainbow Six Extraction
                    Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
                    Remnant 2
                    Severed Steel
                    Sherlock Holmes The Awakened
                    Showgunners
                    Spider-Man: Miles Morales
                    Strayed Lights
                    Trepang2
                    Voidtrain
                    Warhammer 40,000: Darktide​

Comment

Diablo IV is coming to steam in 10 days looks like they worked on the issues with battle.net client with steam because of that.

Comment

Working...
                      X