sdl12-compat 1.2.68 Allows More Games To Run On The Modern Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I'm not sure if people really want to preserve hentai games.
    YES, we want.

Comment

Originally posted by maarten View Post

We're all grown up men here. Nothing to be ashamed of.
      If you are, use an alt github account, or contact ryan directly through email/twitter/...
      Hentai games compatibility on Linux is of high priority. Linux wanking matters!

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Hentai games compatibility on Linux is of high priority. Linux wanking matters!
        Fixing sdl12-compat for the hentai game is interesting for multiple reasons:
        - allows you to start your game without having to start a virtual machine (lower TTW)​
        - popular lore says VHS won because of prn, perhaps linux needs to do the same?
        - it improves sdl12-compat, and might be useful for other games

TTW = time to wank​

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

And this right here is yet another proof why nothing comes close to win32 in the desktop OS space when it comes to game preservation. I mean I appreciate all the effort with sdl12-compat, but afaiu old SDL games have to be hand picked and manually adapted to SDL2 in order to run properly.
          Many win32 games also need all kinds of hacks to keep them running, either through binary patches or through dll injection.

Comment

Many win32 games also need all kinds of hacks to keep them running, either through binary patches or through dll injection.
            True, but it's still much more likely to work compared to Linux (and maybe also MacOS and others) where when old libraries for specific game or other software stop working and / or distros stop supporting them, you're pretty much out of luck, unless you have such rare efforts like sdl12-compat (which even then, requires manual adaptation by game).

Comment

Fixing sdl12-compat for the hentai game is interesting for multiple reasons:
              - allows you to start your game without having to start a virtual machine (lower TTW)​
              - it improves sdl12-compat, and might be useful for other games

TTW = time to wank​
              Yes. Also a purely technicalreason is that any game might uncover some rare bug too.

Comment

I'm not sure if people really want to preserve hentai games.

Granted, I occasionally play some of those old ones I like, but still.
                Hey, not all of them get Ren'Py-based HD remakes. (No joke. That's happened at least once.)

Comment

Given Japan's attitude toward PCs vs. consoles and gaming a decade ago, it might be a prerequisite for Linux adoption in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Hey, not all of them get Ren'Py-based HD remakes. (No joke. That's happened at least once.)
                    Coincidentally, one of those games happen to be ren'py based but bundles SDL1.2.

Replacing the bundled SDL1.2 with compat breaks it.

Comment

Coincidentally, one of those games happen to be ren'py based but bundles SDL1.2.

Replacing the bundled SDL1.2 with compat breaks it.
                      Ugh..

Comment

Working...
                      X