Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VKD3D 1.9 Released With HLSL Compiler Improvements, Ability To Inspect DXBC Blobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VKD3D 1.9 Released With HLSL Compiler Improvements, Ability To Inspect DXBC Blobs

Phoronix: VKD3D 1.9 Released With HLSL Compiler Improvements, Ability To Inspect DXBC Blobs

While VKD3D-Proton continues to be the downstream used by Valve's Steam Play (Proton) and receiving a bulk of the Windows D3D12 gaming optimizations, Wine's upstream VKD3D project continues to evolve for mapping the Direct3D 12 API atop Vulkan. Released on Thursday was VKD3D 1.9 as the newest feature update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any sort of collaboration between WineVKD3D and VKD3D-Proton, or are they 100.0% separate projects at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
      Is there any sort of collaboration between WineVKD3D and VKD3D-Proton, or are they 100.0% separate projects at this point?
      Separate projects for different platforms (one for general use, the other for Proton usage), but with the other occasionally upstreaming code. It's a symbiosis community effort in the sense that it's benefit to all if VKD3D-Proton provide code when necessary and when able (Wine's VKD3D success provides for VKD3D-Proton continuation.. for the most part).

Comment

All DX12 games stutter for me with MESA/AMDGPU yet nobody talks about it.. Halo Infinite and Payday 3 are two examples. WM/distro doesn't matter and I've tried different monitors with VRR.

GPL pretty much solved it in DXVK while this new project takes care of the rest: https://gitlab.com/Ph42oN/dxvk-gplasync in DX11,10,9

Is there no way to fix shader stuttering in DX12 yet?
        Last edited by Kjell; 23 September 2023, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
          All DX12 games stutter for me with MESA/AMDGPU yet nobody talks about it.. Halo Infinite and Payday 3 are two examples. WM/distro doesn't matter and I've tried different monitors with VRR.

GPL pretty much solved it in DXVK while this new project takes care of the rest: https://gitlab.com/Ph42oN/dxvk-gplasync in DX11,10,9

Is there no way to fix shader stuttering in DX12 yet?
          Those are two games I don't have, but practically all the DX12 games I have work just fine at 1440p high aside from MSFS 2020. I even ran Hitman 2, Hogwarts Legacy, and Cyberpunk before posting this just to confirm DX12 games aren't stuttering on my setup.

If you're on Wayland and have a 60hz display, like my 4K60 TV, V Sync is mandatory to prevent stuttering in my experiences. For example, yesterday when I was benchmarking Cyberpunk 2.0 to dial in my settings to 60fps or higher, even when it'd push 70+FPS constantly, if V Sync wasn't enabled it'd be very choppy and buttery smooth with V Sync on. That was happening on both Wayland and X11 for that game.

What are your system specs, desktop environment, Mesa version, Proton version, and do you use V Sync?

7800X3D
          6700 XT
          64GB DDR5 6000 CL30
          CachyOS w/ Linux 6.5.4-eevdf
          Mesa 23.1.8
          KDE 5.27.8 X11
          V Sync On
          GE-Proton8-15
          3-Disk Zraid w/ Gen 4 NVMe caching

KDE Wayland works, too, but I've been experiencing a major breaking bug after updating to 5.27.8 where if I turn off my display the entire Plasma session resets itself....but games work just fine...until I turn off my display.

And most of my Steam games use something like this:

AMD_VULKAN_ICD=RADV DXVK_ASYNC=1 VKD3D_CONFIG=dxr11,dxr RADV_PERFTEST=rt,gpl %command%

(for me DXVK_ASYNC=1 is rather moot since I'm not actually using an async enabled DXVK. I'm too lazy to update my launch parameters )

Comment

Thanks a ton for the details @skeevy420
            Do you mind testing Halo Infinite (it's free to play on Steam)?

For me the stuttering happens intermittently, I think it's partly caused by shaders since it's worst at the beginning of each map. It's mostly noticeable when the FPS is below monitor's refresh rate (which makes me believe it's related to vblank update rate as well). Disabling direct scanout makes a huge difference but it's not enough. Can't reproduce this issue with VRRTest..

I've tried bleeding edge Proton TKG as well as Proton Experimental without luck. I've had this issue for 7 months now in DX12 titles :/

Toggling vsync ingame makes no difference

Ryzen 9 5950X
            Radeon RX 6800 XT
            64GB DDR4 3600MHz CL14
            CachyOS x86-64-v3 + 6.5.4 (eevdf-bore-lto)
            Sway (git) Wayland
            ​Mesa 1.23.8
            AW3821DW (4K 144Hz w/ Freesync 2)
            2TB SN850 GEN4 w/ XFS

(For reference, I don't have the infamous MCLK bug)
            Last edited by Kjell; 23 September 2023, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Who's sponsoring VKD3D now? Still Valve?

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                Separate projects for different platforms (one for general use, the other for Proton usage), but with the other occasionally upstreaming code. It's a symbiosis community effort in the sense that it's benefit to all if VKD3D-Proton provide code when necessary and when able (Wine's VKD3D success provides for VKD3D-Proton continuation.. for the most part).
                And Proton doesn't have to give a shit about Mac, which has the piece of shit Metal API and you need MoltenVK for it which lacks a ton of features.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
                  Thanks a ton for the details @skeevy420
                  Do you mind testing Halo Infinite (it's free to play on Steam)?

For me the stuttering happens intermittently, I think it's partly caused by shaders since it's worst at the beginning of each map. It's mostly noticeable when the FPS is below monitor's refresh rate (which makes me believe it's related to vblank update rate as well). Disabling direct scanout makes a huge difference but it's not enough. Can't reproduce this issue with VRRTest..

I've tried bleeding edge Proton TKG as well as Proton Experimental without luck. I've had this issue for 7 months now in DX12 titles :/
                  Well, at first Halo Infinite was crashing like a drunk driver until I checked protondb and updated the launch parameters with

Code:
                  VKD3D_CONFIG=no_upload_hvv RADV_PERFTEST=ext_ms %command% -USEALLAVAILABLECORES
                  After that it the game ran just fine at 4K High scaled at 1404p locked at 60fps. I got my ass handed to me, but the game ran fine. I never had a single stutter.

If it's every game, have you ruled out Sway? Have you tried other WMs or DEs?

Unfortunately, I don't use Sway and I've never had a VRR monitor so I'm at a loss. Your system outta play it better than mine.

Comment

@skeevy420

Thanks for taking a look!

That's strange, it worked out of the box for me after I uninstalled amdvlk. Do you have that package?
                    pacman -Qi amdvlk

Yeah tried DWM, i3, bspwm in X11 plus Hyprland, River and Sway

When the fps is the same as the refresh rate I don't notice the problem which makes vblank update rate the most likely source of perceived stuttering. Coincidentally playing for a while makes it less apparent (or maybe I'm just getting used to stuttering at that that point hehe)

I also tried 2 different VRR displays and only having one plugged in while testing

I have a hard time seeing the bottheneck here as I don't get this problem in other heavy games like DOOM Eternal :/

I'm using the latest X570-E Gaming BIOS, fTPM disabled, mitigations disabled, no thermal throttling, gamemoderun, amd pstate and performance governor

Well, I know there's a lot of strangness around VRR with AMDGPU right now like direct scanout tricking the display to run att full refresh rate, mouse polling rate interfering with the refresh rate and kernel not seeing VRR at launch unless overridden with a kernel parameter

Can't think of anything else other than trying KDE at this point
                    Last edited by Kjell; 24 September 2023, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X