X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No CS2 Beta for Linux users, Volvo plz fix

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
      Which is Electron, which is Chromium+Node. MS did nothing for crossplatform support there.
      You're missing the big thing this gave us: LSP (language server protocol). Now we have intellisense-quality code completion in editors everywhere.

Before this, libclang was being used somewhat for C++ in stuff like QtCreator, but now there's servers for basically any language you can think of, and you can use them with traditional editors.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

1. They pay their employees well. There is a queue to hire them.

2. Most customers are satisfied with their products.

3. And relatively new products like Azure (the world's second cloud) are attracting, thanks to their good reputation and quality , so many customers that revenue increases are in double digits.

You have a strange notion of being the worst​.
        If you didn't get this I was writing how they are toward Linux. Linux aside, few years ago ms didn't pay too well to their employees (I posted few times about this at Phoronix and I doubt anything has changed). Most people I know aren't satisfied at all with ms products. I won't speak for Azure, though. In comparison to Intel, AMD, Valve, Red Hat they're the worst in the Linux world. As for now.
        Last edited by Volta; 22 September 2023, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unic0rn View Post

I'll gladly hire a programmer that will do my work for free.

What do you mean you have to eat?
          If you pay some stupid foundation instead of a programmer, the programmer will starve.

Comment

I don't game, other than an occasional round of SuperTuxKart.

That being said, I have questions before I praise Steam:
            1) Isn't Steam a proprietary walled garden where you don't really "own" games, but you pay to use them within the Steam system? Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
            2) While Steam has contributed a number of graphics enhancements, didn't it do that out of self-interest, as Steam has been trying for years to run its own OS and devices where Steam can determine its own profits outside of having to be subservient to companies like MS, Apple, and Google? Correct me if I'm wrong.
            3) Surely Valve is collecting massive amounts of data on Steam users. What's their privacy policy? Are they just another Google or Facebook - contributing a bit of code in order to entice more users and enrich themselves through the sale of personal data? Gmail is the classic example - "Great Free Email For Everyone!!" [don't mind us while we scrape and sell all your email data, provide backdoors to our government spy customers, etc].

Comment

[QUOTE=andyprough;n1411052]I don't game, other than an occasional round of SuperTuxKart.

That being said, I have questions before I praise Steam:

2) While Steam has contributed a number of graphics enhancements, didn't it do that out of self-interest, as Steam has been trying for years to run its own OS and devices where Steam can determine its own profits outside of having to be subservient to companies like MS, Apple, and Google? Correct me if I'm wrong.

The enemy of our enemy is our friend.

Comment

Damn, if only they cared this much about their own products

Comment

It's just a shame they made the Steam client itself terrible. Why is it necessary to make one thing better and another worse.

Comment

I started using Linux in 2002. At the time I wished more companies would support it. It felt quite lonely being a Linux user. Today Linux is everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by rhysperry111 View Post
                      Also want to say a huge thanks to Michael for Phoronix. It really is hugely appreciated. Thank you.

I can't do much in the way of financial contribution myself at the current time, but as soon as I've got my own things sorted out you're high on the list of people to show support to.
                      Same, I was in that boat for years! Always wanting to help Michael but never being able to afford it. That changed when I got my first full time job. I now give 20 dollars or so for a years membership every time he offers the discounted deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X