No announcement yet.

Valve Is A Wonderful Upstream Contributor To Linux & The Open-Source Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is A Wonderful Upstream Contributor To Linux & The Open-Source Community

Phoronix: Valve Is A Wonderful Upstream Contributor To Linux & The Open-Source Community

This shouldn't come as any surprise to any longtime Phoronix readers and dedicated open-source/Linux enthusiasts, but Valve with their work on the Steam Deck and SteamOS have been lifting the open-source ecosystem as a whole. A talk this week at the Linux Foundation Europe's Open-Source Summit highlighted some of the great and ongoing contributions by Valve and their partners...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

<3 Thanks Valve

Comment

I'm not a gamer but I bought a Steam Deck just for support them.

Comment

M$ too.

With wsl you can learn the basic commands and interactions. And Microsoft is one of the largest sponsors of Linux - it has a platinum membership in the Linux Foundation.

Microsot also does not block games from its studios from running on Linux, and could if it were a bad company.

​

Comment

HEL88

I know I'm feedeing the troll, but LF platinum membership isn't equal to direct involment. Summing up m$ did nothing in comparison to Red Hat, IBM and many others. How it could block games? It's not bad, It's the worst company.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
            HEL88

I know I'm feedeing the troll, but LF platinum membership isn't equal to direct involment. Summing up m$ did nothing in comparison to Red Hat, IBM and many others. How it could block games? It's not bad, It's the worst company.
            Microsoft has enriched Linux and brought many amazing technologies to Linux!
            They gave us VS Code, .NET, ASP.NET Core, EF Core, PowerShell, Edge, etc.
            Microsoft also have their own Linux distributions that they use in the cloud, and they contributed Hyper-V support to the Linux kernel. They probably contributed to Mesa, Wayland and X.Org Window System too with all their work around WSLg.

Comment

I know you're probably just trolling, but anyway.
              Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
              With wsl you can learn the basic commands and interactions.
              You can do that with any Linux distro and won't have to pay MS a dime.
              And Microsoft is one of the largest sponsors of Linux - it has a platinum membership in the Linux Foundation.
              Money doesn't advance Linux, code does.
              Microsot also does not block games from its studios from running on Linux, and could if it were a bad company.
              There is a MS studio that makes Linux games?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                I know you're probably just trolling, but anyway.

You can do that with any Linux distro and won't have to pay MS a dime.

Money doesn't advance Linux, code does.

There is a MS studio that makes Linux games?
                Not really, they don't push Linux games like 99.9 percent of big studios/companies, they do however enable anticheat support for Proton in multiple games of their studios.

Comment

Yes, Valve does a fatastic job and they really developed and supported so many great projects like Mesa, ACO, Radv, Proton, DXVK and Proton :-)

Comment

Also want to say a huge thanks to Michael for Phoronix. It really is hugely appreciated. Thank you.

I can't do much in the way of financial contribution myself at the current time, but as soon as I've got my own things sorted out you're high on the list of people to show support to.

Comment

Working...
                    X