No announcement yet.

SteamOS 3.5 Rolls Out In Preview On The Steam Deck With Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unigine Superposition 1080p result does increased to 3020 points from 2820 point with this update. But the fan get somewhat louder under load.

Comment

i wonder if they will make a custom install without the need to format the entire hdd. something like how holoiso works which allows the select of non allocated space on a selected hdd

Comment

With a multi monitor setup and non english keyboard layout , improvements to Steam OS are needed. Nice to see they push new majors and not just proton updates

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
          Michael

So, I just published my article here:

By using any of the commands listed below, you acknowledge and accept that neither I nor the Valve Corporation are responsible for any damage that may occur to you personally or your Steam Deck…

It all comes down to these commands:

You can simply copy & paste the whole block above into the terminal in order to have them all applied at once.

Just a handful of games would be enough to see any differences between SteamOS 3.4 vs. 3.5, which would certainly drive quite some traffic onto Phoronix, too.

Hope you consider it...
          Why not use /etc/default/cpupower instead of creating an extra service? Also is performance really the better idea on a mobile device?
          Why set min_ttl_ms to 0? That's not enabling the feature but disabling it.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Why not use /etc/default/cpupower instead of creating an extra service? Also is performance really the better idea on a mobile device?
            Why set min_ttl_ms to 0? That's not enabling the feature but disabling it.
            Creating the service makes it easy to tell someone to turn off the service rather than remember that one place you have to put that specific value or number.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
              Michael

So, I just published my article here:

By using any of the commands listed below, you acknowledge and accept that neither I nor the Valve Corporation are responsible for any damage that may occur to you personally or your Steam Deck…

It all comes down to these commands:

You can simply copy & paste the whole block above into the terminal in order to have them all applied at once.

Just a handful of games would be enough to see any differences between SteamOS 3.4 vs. 3.5, which would certainly drive quite some traffic onto Phoronix, too.

Hope you consider it...
              I have a SteamOS 3.4 vs. 3.5 preview article coming out with benchmarks tonight or tomorrow... If you are content with that collection of benchmarks, will then proceed to do a follow-up article looking at your changes atop 3.5.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Creating the service makes it easy to tell someone to turn off the service rather than remember that one place you have to put that specific value or number.
                He's already using sed for grub and fstab, he can use it for undoing the change to cpupower similarly.
                If the random person searches online for how to undo without remembering that page, they may find the default way to do so but not this one. Plus restarting the standard cpupower service will reset to the value set for default, making things weird. I think, when it makes no runtime difference, it's easier to stick to the default and tested architectures to configure stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

He's already using sed for grub and fstab, he can use it for undoing the change to cpupower similarly.
                  If the random person searches online for how to undo without remembering that page, they may find the default way to do so but not this one. Plus restarting the standard cpupower service will reset to the value set for default, making things weird. I think, when it makes no runtime difference, it's easier to stick to the default and tested architectures to configure stuff.
                  I would prefer an all in one place solution. But you can't really do that with grub and fstab, right? So a service doesn't make sense there. But if all of them were separate services, you have a lot less to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
                    Let's not make that phrase meaningless while we still have Apple, ok?
                    That's fair.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

I would prefer an all in one place solution. But you can't really do that with grub and fstab, right? So a service doesn't make sense there. But if all of them were separate services, you have a lot less to deal with.
                      Correct, I miss the old days of Arch where almost all the important stuff was in a single file.

Comment

Working...
                      X