SteamOS 3.5 Rolls Out In Preview On The Steam Deck With Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS 3.5 Rolls Out In Preview On The Steam Deck With Many New Features

Phoronix: SteamOS 3.5 Rolls Out In Preview On The Steam Deck With Many New Features

In time for the weekend gamers, SteamOS 3.5 has just rolled out into Valve's preview channel for the Steam Deck. Those switching over to the "Preview" mode from the System Update Channel setting can begin to enjoy this huge feature update for the Arch Linux based SteamOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

SteamOS as it sits does tend to have some walled-garden tendencies in that it is built up around the Steam storefront platform and is generally only meant for the Deck.

That being said, Valve has turned out to be one heck of a powerful corporate partner for desktop Linux, for Linux gaming in general, and all sorts of upgrades and goodies that we have all seen come around the corner at Valve's doing over the last decade.

Good job Valve!

Comment

Well, about time!

Michael

Remember my offer?

Over the weekend, I will publish my article.

Would you then be willing to run a few gaming benchmarks comparing the current stable SteamOS 3.4 vs. 3.5 vs. tweaked 3.5, whereby you will just need to do a single copy & paste operation into the terminal to have those tweaks applied?

If yes, which games would be the ideal candidates from the available options within your PTS?

Once we've agreed on the terms, I will send you a 100 $ immediately for your efforts.

Deal?

Comment

I put this on my deck last weekend.

Bazzite is a custom image built upon Fedora Atomic Desktops that brings the best of Linux gaming to all of your devices - including your favorite handheld. - ublue-os/bazzite

Worked fine. But I've done exactly zero cool things with it so far, so may as well just run SteamOS.

Also worth mentioning that the deck is on sale again right now. $360 for the base model. You can add a 1TB NVMe drive yourself for another ~$60.

Comment

My external display no longer works. Unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
            SteamOS as it sits does tend to have some walled-garden tendencies in that it is built up around the Steam storefront platform and is generally only meant for the Deck.

That being said, Valve has turned out to be one heck of a powerful corporate partner for desktop Linux, for Linux gaming in general, and all sorts of upgrades and goodies that we have all seen come around the corner at Valve's doing over the last decade.

Good job Valve!
            Sure, it starts steam as a default but desktop mode where you can do pretty much what you want and install anything you want is just a couple of button presses away. I wouldn't call that a walled garden. Let's not make that phrase meaningless while we still have Apple, ok?

Comment

Is it still not updated from kernel v5.13.0?

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
                Is it still not updated from kernel v5.13.0?
                They jumped to 6.1 LTS kernel.

Comment

Michael

So, I just published my article here:

By using any of the commands listed below, you acknowledge and accept that neither I nor the Valve Corporation are responsible for any damage that may occur to you personally or your Steam Deck…

It all comes down to these commands:

cat << EOF | sudo tee /etc/systemd/system/cpu_performance.service
                  [Unit]
                  Description=CPU performance governor
                  [Service]
                  Type=oneshot
                  ExecStart=/usr/bin/cpupower frequency-set -g performance
                  [Install]
                  WantedBy=multi-user.target
                  EOF
                  sudo systemctl daemon-reload
                  sudo systemctl enable cpu_performance.service
                  cat << EOF | sudo tee /etc/tmpfiles.d/mglru.conf
                  w /sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/enabled - - - - 7
                  w /sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/min_ttl_ms - - - - 0
                  EOF
                  cat << EOF | sudo tee /etc/security/limits.d/memlock.conf
                  * hard memlock 2147484
                  * soft memlock 2147484
                  EOF
                  cat << EOF | sudo tee /etc/udev/rules.d/64-ioschedulers.rules
                  ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="nvme[0-9]*", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="kyber"
                  ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]|mmcblk[0-9]*", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="0", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="kyber"
                  EOF
                  sudo sed -i -e '/home/s/\bdefaults\b/&,noatime/' /etc/fstab
                  sudo sed -i 's/\bGRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="\b/&mitigations=off nowatchdog nmi_watchdog=0 /' /etc/default/grub
                  sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/steamos/grub.cfg​
                  You can simply copy & paste the whole block above into the terminal in order to have them all applied at once.

Just a handful of games would be enough to see any differences between SteamOS 3.4 vs. 3.5, which would certainly drive quite some traffic onto Phoronix, too.

Hope you consider it...

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Sure, it starts steam as a default but desktop mode where you can do pretty much what you want and install anything you want is just a couple of button presses away. I wouldn't call that a walled garden. Let's not make that phrase meaningless while we still have Apple, ok?
                    I think they meant that some of the extra features in SteamOS only work with the Steam Deck and not generically on Linux (I think that's the hold up with non-Deck SteamOS releases). Then there's Proton itself. That's specifically a Steam thing and it's up to the community to make it available for non-Steam uses, into custom Wine builds, etc.

I'm trying to point out that Valve does things for themselves first and foremost...which is how Capitalism and business works. We're just fortunate that they're altruistic enough to do it in an open source manner so communities can even hack away at it which makes it less a Walled Garden and more a Commune Garden.

I'm neither complaining nor upset with Valve, just trying to explain how I see their point of view.

Comment

Working...
                    X