Wine 8.16 Restarts Work On Implementing Microsoft's Deprecated DirectMusic API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    Back during the 2000s, I have used DirectMusic Producer to produce a song called "Like a Rock" and my family loved it. When I was at Test Track during that time, my dad said "Grayson, here comes the song." I've had lots of fun using DirectMusic Producer and I even explored the samples that came with DirectX 6.1 SDK (and probably DirectX 7 SDK if I remember correctly).

I believe it was this commercial that inspired me to create that song. I just love the 80s. I'm an 80s fanatic.

A commercial for Chevrolet's Silverado HD, with the slogan "Like a Rock," from 2001.

Good times, man. Good times.

Alas, time moves on and I'm not interested in motor vehicles anymore. I envy people driving their vehicles, but not anymore. And despite my visual impairment, I have no desire to purchase a driveless vehicle due to privacy concerns. Of course, I digressed.

And it's great that Wine developers are getting DirectMusic API implemented! Maybe I could use DirectMusic to produce music for fun! Of course, I do see DirectMusic providing some interactive musical experiences for games. I felt bad when Microsoft deprecated DirectMusic. But I could see creating a 1-hour loop of an overworld music for a JRPG game. Makes for a much smaller file size with MIDI compared to OGG. Of course, MIDI is just a language for providing instructions on what key to press at what velocity and be able to control the expressiveness of each instruments.
    You should check out Bitwig Studio. It is a world class audio production studio suite with native linux support. https://www.bitwig.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
      I guess WINE is trying to be "More Windows Than Windows" ?
      It already kind of is. You can run 16-bit applications such as old but still fun games like Jezzball on Wine, but it's no longer possible on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
        As soon as I read 'DirectMusic' my brain started playing the demo tune from DxDiag.
        What has Windows done to my brain?!
        https://youtu.be/8D-u15IP5A8
        Not complete without soundfont: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5fiqx6nTow

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

You should check out Bitwig Studio. It is a world class audio production studio suite with native linux support. https://www.bitwig.com/
          Apples and oranges. Bitwig Studio does not have an API for games to use for controlling musical instruments interactively. And thanks. I already know about Bitwig Studio. Too expensive for me. I use MusE Sequencer for music creation.

(And if only VBulletine could stop highlighting all text when I Ctrl+TAB between web pages.)

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
          As soon as I read 'DirectMusic' my brain started playing the demo tune from DxDiag.

What has Windows done to my brain?!

https://youtu.be/8D-u15IP5A8
          LOL! Ah! Good times! I love hearing music from FM synthesizer and wavetable synthesizer back during the 1990s.​
          Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 16 September 2023, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            Why "alas"?​
            Michael's opinions in a nutshell.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              Why "alas"?

The #1 reason I care about PCs over macs or consoles is backwards compatibility, and I currently have dedicated airgapped gaming boxes running Windows 98SE, Windows XP, and Windows 7 because Wine is such a crapshoot for games like Dungeon Keeper 2, The Binding of Isaac Rebirth, etc.​
              Maybe he meant "at last" ? Michael

Comment

Originally posted by poncho524 View Post
                But can it run iTunes yet?
                Would also be awesome if it could run Microsoft Office and SolidWorks!

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Back during the 2000s, I have used DirectMusic Producer to produce a song called "Like a Rock" and my family loved it. When I was at Test Track during that time, my dad said "Grayson, here comes the song." I've had lots of fun using DirectMusic Producer and I even explored the samples that came with DirectX 6.1 SDK (and probably DirectX 7 SDK if I remember correctly).

I believe it was this commercial that inspired me to create that song. I just love the 80s. I'm an 80s fanatic.

A commercial for Chevrolet's Silverado HD, with the slogan "Like a Rock," from 2001.

Good times, man. Good times.

Alas, time moves on and I'm not interested in motor vehicles anymore. I envy people driving their vehicles, but not anymore. And despite my visual impairment, I have no desire to purchase a driveless vehicle due to privacy concerns. Of course, I digressed.

And it's great that Wine developers are getting DirectMusic API implemented! Maybe I could use DirectMusic to produce music for fun! Of course, I do see DirectMusic providing some interactive musical experiences for games. I felt bad when Microsoft deprecated DirectMusic. But I could see creating a 1-hour loop of an overworld music for a JRPG game. Makes for a much smaller file size with MIDI compared to OGG. Of course, MIDI is just a language for providing instructions on what key to press at what velocity and be able to control the expressiveness of each instruments.
                  Are saying that you created the song "Like a Rock" or are you saying you were able to reproduce it using DirectMusic Producer?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Are saying that you created the song "Like a Rock" or are you saying you were able to reproduce it using DirectMusic Producer?
                    I'm able to reproduce the song using DirectMusic Producer just for fun.

Here's what DirectMusic Producer looks like (starting around 3:45):
                    My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/druaga1Haven't found Dave yet!Gameplay recorded from an XP VM. Levels load instantly in it for some reason XD. This is ...
                    Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 30 October 2023, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X