No announcement yet.

Wine 8.16 Restarts Work On Implementing Microsoft's Deprecated DirectMusic API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.16 Restarts Work On Implementing Microsoft's Deprecated DirectMusic API

Phoronix: Wine 8.16 Restarts Work On Implementing Microsoft's Deprecated DirectMusic API

Wine 8.16 is out as the newest bi-weekly development release for this open-source software to enjoy Windows games and applications under Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Back during the 2000s, I have used DirectMusic Producer to produce a song called "Like a Rock" and my family loved it. When I was at Test Track during that time, my dad said "Grayson, here comes the song." I've had lots of fun using DirectMusic Producer and I even explored the samples that came with DirectX 6.1 SDK (and probably DirectX 7 SDK if I remember correctly).

I believe it was this commercial that inspired me to create that song. I just love the 80s. I'm an 80s fanatic.

A commercial for Chevrolet's Silverado HD, with the slogan "Like a Rock," from 2001.

Good times, man. Good times.

Alas, time moves on and I'm not interested in motor vehicles anymore. I envy people driving their vehicles, but not anymore. And despite my visual impairment, I have no desire to purchase a driveless vehicle due to privacy concerns. Of course, I digressed.

And it's great that Wine developers are getting DirectMusic API implemented! Maybe I could use DirectMusic to produce music for fun! Of course, I do see DirectMusic providing some interactive musical experiences for games. I felt bad when Microsoft deprecated DirectMusic. But I could see creating a 1-hour loop of an overworld music for a JRPG game. Makes for a much smaller file size with MIDI compared to OGG. Of course, MIDI is just a language for providing instructions on what key to press at what velocity and be able to control the expressiveness of each instruments.
    Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 15 September 2023, 04:48 PM.

Comment

In this wine version, I can think about music on rise of nations

Comment

As soon as I read 'DirectMusic' my brain started playing the demo tune from DxDiag.

What has Windows done to my brain?!

Comment

Awesome, it's great to see WINE going and targeting missing components of old DirectX. This is exactly what I've been hoping would happen. WINE is the basis for a lot of compatibility layers not just WINE. It will be interesting to see how the progresses.

Comment

I guess WINE is trying to be "More Windows Than Windows" ?

Comment

There is a small to mid-size chance that WINE will replace windows... and then Linux will take over

In all honestly though this is awesome. I can play legacy games on Linux better than windows!

Comment

But can it run iTunes yet?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                  I guess WINE is trying to be "More Windows Than Windows" ?
                  WINE supports games that you cannot play anymore in Windows 11

Comment

Why "alas"?

The #1 reason I care about PCs over macs or consoles is backwards compatibility, and I currently have dedicated airgapped gaming boxes running Windows 98SE, Windows XP, and Windows 7 because Wine is such a crapshoot for games like Dungeon Keeper 2, The Binding of Isaac Rebirth, etc.​

Comment

Working...
                    X