ReactOS "Open-Source Windows" Shown Running On Valve's Steam Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Hah yes. I pretty much have a machine for every era. I find PC emulation to not quite be up to scratch for things like games.

For BBS-era, I actually have two DOS machines (it covered a large timeframe!). One for early DOS and one with a sickeningly fast 486!
    Have you tried 86Box? It supports emulating a wide variety of hardware and I found the performance to be pretty good.

Comment

I really wonder when will be the time ReactOS could be just about used in practice instead of Windows at all ... Targeting up to to Win7 operationability would cover pretty much most of the PC glory days of 90' to late 00' - there's a load of stuff I haven't had time to experience way back in 2005 that I would still like to. The other problem is ever evolving hardware and incompatible changes and neglect and disregard of history. Constant evolution without preservation of history is the height of disrespect IMO. Ofcourse what do profit-driven ideologies care, don't wait, it's our job to preserve something we feel emotionally attached to. ReactOS desperately needs a big donation and "investment" from some history preserving groups, but also an organized drive to hire dedicated developers to provide the much needed boost. Once parity with Windows is done, that's just the start of all of the improvements and ideas that we should have had back in the day but microsoft never delivered. Took up until Win10 and some for them to do a proper GUI editor for environmental variables, for example.
      Last edited by Retramon; 16 September 2023, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Retramon View Post
        I really wonder when will be the time ReactOS could be just about used in practice instead of Windows at all ... Targeting up to to Win7 operationability would cover pretty much most of the PC glory days of 90' to late 00' - there's a load of stuff I haven't had time to experience way back in 2005 that I would still like to. The other problem is ever evolving hardware and incompatible changes and neglect and disregard of history. Constant evolution without preservation of history is the height of disrespect IMO. Ofcourse what do profit-driven ideologies care, don't wait, it's our job to preserve something we feel emotionally attached to. ReactOS desperately needs a big donation and "investment" from some history preserving groups, but also an organized drive to hire dedicated developers to provide the much needed boost. Once parity with Windows is done, that's just the start of all of the improvements and ideas that we should have had back in the day but microsoft never delivered. Took up until Win10 and some for them to do a proper GUI editor for environmental variables, for example.
        I won't even pretend to talk about other people's usecase so here is mine and maybe even mine alone.

I really like retro games on native hardware and on VMs, so reactOS is a great target for supporting modern VMs, I've used reactOS a couple times now and for some games (very few) it actually does work pretty great, not better then windows, that won't happen for a long time, however if this was for a product I was investing in and maybe looking to sell it could be a very good long term option (IE. one of those mini console things)

Comment

the display is mounted sideways and rotated by SteamOS or is ReactOS rotating it here? because I wouldn't think display rotation is implemented in ReactOS considering everything else they need to do first
          Last edited by mikelpr; 20 September 2023, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X