Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VKD3D-Proton 2.10 Released With More Performance Improvements, Game/Driver Workarounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to upstream this code in Mesa? Right now it's limited to DX12 titles with it being in just VKD3D?
    It makes no sense on Mesa, remember mesa is the Vulkan driver, vkd3d is the wine layer to convert DX12 to Vulkan(also the Vulkan side fixes are in Mesa git already).

Comment

Batch acceleration structure builds, the original PR was for Mesa but then moved to VKD3D?
      As stated in the comment on GitLab, no native Vulkan application have been shown to get any improvement from this so it looks to be mostly a common fault in Windows games and adding it to vkd3d means that it then will improve it for amd, intel and nvidia instead of having to implement it in every single driver.

Comment

Batch acceleration structure builds, the original PR was for Mesa but then moved to VKD3D?
        Vulkan apps should be doing the batching themselves, and adding it into the drivers adds unnecessary complicated code there which doesn't seem to help anything currently (other than DXVK).

If there's ever a native vulkan app that needs that (and isn't open-source/won't be fixed upstream) then they'll probably add similar code via an app-specific vulkan layer.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          The most important fix is for NVIDIA/Intel users: https://github.com/HansKristian-Work...oton/pull/1694

Starfield is not just coded for AMD.
          Funny, i would say the same thing for all Rocksteady, CD Project Red and many others games that are indeed coded for intel/ngreedia and nobody said anything.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Funny, i would say the same thing for all Rocksteady, CD Project Red and many others games that are indeed coded for intel/ngreedia and nobody said anything.
            Yeah, pretty much all major games are shit optimized. It's just that you hear about it more when suddenly it doesn't work well on the GPU you have, and if it's someone else's gpu then the drivers for it must just suck. And given that NVidia has a strong majority of gaming GPUs, it's obviously going to come up more when nvidia is the one having the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Yeah, pretty much all major games are shit optimized. It's just that you hear about it more when suddenly it doesn't work well on the GPU you have, and if it's someone else's gpu then the drivers for it must just suck. And given that NVidia has a strong majority of gaming GPUs, it's obviously going to come up more when nvidia is the one having the problem.
              And then you have games like Cyberpunk where a year and a half later they yeet the CPU up to a 7800x3d for 1080p High and tell you to check your cooling because the system might thermal yolo.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                The most important fix is for NVIDIA/Intel users: https://github.com/HansKristian-Work...oton/pull/1694

Starfield is not just coded for AMD, it's outright broken in how its graphical pipeline works.
                The PR you're linking to literally has an edit talking about people overblowing the issue and a later comment which mentions the expected performance gains are small...This is exactly what he's talking about in it, it's not "outright broken", this is the same kind of problem you regularly see from all kinds of devs from AAA to indie.

Why do you think it's been routine to wait for a GPU driver update to get the best performance out of a new 3D game right back to when that usually meant running Windows 9x and rendering on a 3DFX graphics card hooked up to whatever 2D capable chipset you preferred/had?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                  Edit: Here is a perfect example of the typical post launch experience that gamers have all been impatiently waiting for:
                  Yeah but that is part of the fun with Beth games. Unfortunately boarding ships like this is locked behind pilot skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Democrab View Post

The PR you're linking to literally has an edit talking about people overblowing the issue and a later comment which mentions the expected performance gains are small...This is exactly what he's talking about in it, it's not "outright broken", this is the same kind of problem you regularly see from all kinds of devs from AAA to indie.

Why do you think it's been routine to wait for a GPU driver update to get the best performance out of a new 3D game right back to when that usually meant running Windows 9x and rendering on a 3DFX graphics card hooked up to whatever 2D capable chipset you preferred/had?
                    I'm not qualified to talk about the issue, I just relayed what I'd seen. I know nothing about computer graphics - I mean I know there are graphics APIs, like D3D, Vulkan, OpenGL but that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X