Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VKD3D-Proton 2.10 Released With More Performance Improvements, Game/Driver Workarounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VKD3D-Proton 2.10 Released With More Performance Improvements, Game/Driver Workarounds

Phoronix: VKD3D-Proton 2.10 Released With More Performance Improvements, Game/Driver Workarounds

Hans-Kristian Arntzen of Valve's stellar Linux graphics/Proton team has released VKD3D-Proton 2.10 as the newest feature release for this Direct3D 12 API implementation built atop Vulkan that allows for modern Windows games to run on Linux atop Steam Play...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That is pretty quick to get directstorage on linux. I have only heard of 2 games that use it at this point. Forspoken and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. I wonder how well it works compared to the "native" windows D3D12 drivers.

Comment

The most important fix is for NVIDIA/Intel users: https://github.com/HansKristian-Work...oton/pull/1694

Starfield is not just coded for AMD, it's outright broken in how its graphical pipeline works.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
        The most important fix is for NVIDIA/Intel users: https://github.com/HansKristian-Work...oton/pull/1694
        Starfield is not just coded for AMD, it's outright broken in how its graphical pipeline works.
        It's a meme but it still holds true, Starfield is indeed a Bethesda game.

Comment

More info here:

Comment

I hope to see this and the recent DXVK release in a new Proton version for the Steam Deck.
            Together with Mesa 23.3 later this year this year should bring some welcome improvements.
            I also hope they'll be able to get true HDR10 output working for SteamOS 3.5.

Comment

Wouldn't it be better to upstream this code in Mesa? Right now it's limited to DX12 titles with it being in just VKD3D?

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

It's a meme but it still holds true, Starfield is indeed a Bethesda game.
                It seems to me almost all triple A games these days are unoptimized and buggy pieces of cr*p. Triple A companies know that these days gamers are overhyped about everything new and will mindlessly rush to preorder games no matter what. So they simply stop caring and start releasing their games in such state because they know gamers are going to preorder anyway.

The only Triple A company I highly respect these days is id software. Their game engine is beautifully optimized and they also don't release their games in a buggy state on launch day.

Edit: Here is a perfect example of the typical post launch experience that gamers have all been impatiently waiting for:

Last edited by user1; 11 September 2023, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
                  Wouldn't it be better to upstream this code in Mesa? Right now it's limited to DX12 titles with it being in just VKD3D?
                  which code are you thinking about? Basically all the code here is to support DirectX12 and therefore not something that any one using OpenGL or Vulkan (so Mesa) will ever encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

which code are you thinking about? Basically all the code here is to support DirectX12 and therefore not something that any one using OpenGL or Vulkan (so Mesa) will ever encounter.
                    Batch acceleration structure builds, the original PR was for Mesa but then moved to VKD3D?

Comment

Working...
                    X