Steam Beta Brings Fix For Linux Gamers Running Openbox, NVIDIA Crash Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Djouze View Post
    Unfortunately I'm an Nvidia user, can't wait to switch GPUs...

The steam UI update has been awful for me on Fedora 38 Workstation + Nvidia. Some things, like opening game properties, will only work on Wayland and some stuff will only work on X11. There's also this problem with the drop down menu's on stuff like the workshop.... I click the drop down button and it clicks on the button beneath it. I had to open the steam website to get the link I was in search of. The app indicator for it only renders as you move the mouse through it... it's been very unreliable, unlike the old steam UI which was actually fine for me.

There are also so many problems with native games. L4D2 is full of game breaking bugs. There's a bug in which the FPS drops for every input (be it keyboard or mouse) I perform, making the game unplayable. Yet, Valve doesn't seem to have plans to fix the game. For how long was CS:GO unlaunchable in many systems because of a problem with libtcmalloc_minimal? Is it playable without effort now? I just hope it these issues are fixed someday.
    I'm also a long time Fedora (on Wayland) user.
    My laptop uses Intel + Nvidia and my desktop PC has an AMD GPU.
    But both of them suck at running games through Steam.
    Yes the latest Steam beta (as recent as a few weeks) has fixed a lot of stuff, like proper scaling.

But still a LOT of games have issues on both my laptop and desktop.

Like games starting in borderless fullscreen and the wrong resolution, causing me to only see 3/4 of the non-moveable window.
    Games running sluggish for some reason.

While all of my games run flawlessly on my Steam Deck.

I think its just Gnome desktop which sucks for playing games.
    It just doesn't work well with Wine(Proton) I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
      I do. There's a workaround, hold Ctrl while clicking. But nice to see they've fixed it in Steam now.
      I have focus follow mouse, maybe that's why?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

I'm also a long time Fedora (on Wayland) user.
        My laptop uses Intel + Nvidia and my desktop PC has an AMD GPU.
        But both of them suck at running games through Steam.
        Yes the latest Steam beta (as recent as a few weeks) has fixed a lot of stuff, like proper scaling.

But still a LOT of games have issues on both my laptop and desktop.

Like games starting in borderless fullscreen and the wrong resolution, causing me to only see 3/4 of the non-moveable window.
        Games running sluggish for some reason.

While all of my games run flawlessly on my Steam Deck.

I think its just Gnome desktop which sucks for playing games.
        It just doesn't work well with Wine(Proton) I guess.
        Yeah I think that's a gnome issue, I've seen other people complain about it. If you run things with gamescope you probably won't have that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Wait, doesnt the hypocrites that say they are Pro-FOSS insist that nvidia is simply perfect in everything and only AMD drivers sucks?
          Only Birdie or whatever he is called now after he got his Birdie account banned says that.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Wait, doesnt the hypocrites that say they are Pro-FOSS insist that nvidia is simply perfect in everything and only AMD drivers sucks?
            No, no, AMD is the holy grail on tech and FOSS sites.

Comment

Working...
            X