Steam Beta Brings Fix For Linux Gamers Running Openbox, NVIDIA Crash Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Beta Brings Fix For Linux Gamers Running Openbox, NVIDIA Crash Fix

Phoronix: Steam Beta Brings Fix For Linux Gamers Running Openbox, NVIDIA Crash Fix

For Linux gamers running the lightweight Openbox X11 window manager, the newest Steam beta update brings a new option to fix problems with Steam's dropdown menus being unclickable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Weird, I'm running openbox, and I don't have the steam beta, and I have no issues clicking on drop down menu's

Comment

Originally posted by guzz46 View Post
      Weird, I'm running openbox, and I don't have the steam beta, and I have no issues clicking on drop down menu's
      I do. There's a workaround, hold Ctrl while clicking. But nice to see they've fixed it in Steam now.

Comment

Unfortunately I'm an Nvidia user, can't wait to switch GPUs...

The steam UI update has been awful for me on Fedora 38 Workstation + Nvidia. Some things, like opening game properties, will only work on Wayland and some stuff will only work on X11. There's also this problem with the drop down menu's on stuff like the workshop.... I click the drop down button and it clicks on the button beneath it. I had to open the steam website to get the link I was in search of. The app indicator for it only renders as you move the mouse through it... it's been very unreliable, unlike the old steam UI which was actually fine for me.

There are also so many problems with native games. L4D2 is full of game breaking bugs. There's a bug in which the FPS drops for every input (be it keyboard or mouse) I perform, making the game unplayable. Yet, Valve doesn't seem to have plans to fix the game. For how long was CS:GO unlaunchable in many systems because of a problem with libtcmalloc_minimal? Is it playable without effort now? I just hope it these issues are fixed someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Djouze View Post
          The steam UI update has been awful for me on Fedora 38 Workstation + Nvidia. Some things, like opening game properties, will only work on Wayland and some stuff will only work on X11. There's also this problem with the drop down menu's on stuff like the workshop.... I click the drop down button and it clicks on the button beneath it. I had to open the steam website to get the link I was in search of. The app indicator for it only renders as you move the mouse through it... it's been very unreliable, unlike the old steam UI which was actually fine for me.
          This sounds like exactly the stuff that the article says has now been fixed in the beta. Try the workaround I mentioned, hold Ctrl while clicking. And btw, this is unrelated to GPUs, it's about window managers, the info I've seen openbox and xmonad are most likely to have these issues, but it could be more widespread. And I've had some of these issues with the previous client already, before the recent big update.

Comment

I wish they'd fix resolution detection in Gnome when using fractional scaling, Steam thinks my 2160p monitor with 150% scaling is 1440p...

Comment

- Restrict a workaround that prevents a crash on Nvidia GPUs to only activate when we detect an Nvidia GPU. Side-effects for this workaround include window flashing and focus stealing when a steam window is closed, which should no longer affect Intel/AMD users.
              Wait, doesnt the hypocrites that say they are Pro-FOSS insist that nvidia is simply perfect in everything and only AMD drivers sucks?

Comment

Another update, another one where the app is not scaling 200%. And this great software hit stable 🙃

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Wait, doesnt the hypocrites that say they are Pro-FOSS insist that nvidia is simply perfect in everything and only AMD drivers sucks?
                  Just works®©™ ^_^

Comment

Really hoping they fix this Nvidia bug soon which makes the client completely unusable for me and others on the latest driver. https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/9577

Comment

Working...
                    X