Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Use Steady For June, ~40% Of Linux Gamers Are Using The Steam Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

I was talking about the native games…
    I still have hope that with SteamOS growing popularity, studios will publish native version more and more. I also hope that native apple metal build will become the norm since Apple Vision plateform will entice gamers too. Basically, there is hope regarding multi platform gaming dev to be back on tracks.
    If the game engine has proper Vulkan support then the performance will be almost identical to Windows. When that happens I'm not sure whether a native version is even necessary.

Comment

I still have hope that with SteamOS growing popularity, studios will publish native version more and more.
      There is no benefit for a studio to do that, because the windows build is running. The Windows build will also still running in 5 years without the need to recompile everything or depend on a no longer maintained runtime like the runtime that valve ships for Linux builds.

Comment

Steam did really changed a lot. 5 years ago I was positively surprised, when a game worked on linux / wine and I dared even to dream of an AAA title working on linux. Today I am badly surprised if a title does not work and most of the AAA do simply work. Times changed and proton does play an important role in that.

Comment

I am a bit disappointed by the linux ecosystem, Like take skyrim and modding, why are there no native modding tools that give a shit about where you bought the game. the stupid windows/proton mod manager only supports the steam version or at least without fucking around.

We do not have the dependency on proton there is a strong dependency on steam for everything. Another example there is not even a opensource VR Player no real solution, no kodi support for VR, not even VLC even VR support was teasert since years.

If you only by and start everything with steam you are fine if not your experience is really frustrating with controllersetups installation and everything. I just ordered a Nintendo switch because the maintanance not to forget new graphicscard that are 3 times to expensive anyway, is to annoying for me.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            I am a bit disappointed by the linux ecosystem, Like take skyrim and modding, why are there no native modding tools that give a [crap] about where you bought the game. the stupid windows/proton mod manager only supports the steam version or at least without [bleep]ing around.

We do not have the dependency on proton there is a strong dependency on steam for everything. Another example there is not even a opensource VR Player no real solution, no kodi support for VR, not even VLC even VR support was teasert since years.

If you only by and start everything with steam you are fine if not your experience is really frustrating with controllersetups installation and everything.
            Valve is doing 95% of the investment into the Linux Gaming ecosystem, so it's expected that most stuff will primarily focus on Steam. You can get stuff elsewhere, but expect a bit more manual work.

I just ordered a Nintendo switch because the maintanance not to forget new graphicscard that are 3 times to expensive anyway, is to annoying for me.
            Sadly that completely closes out any possibility of modding*/alternative storefronts/VR/etc. IMHO a Steam Deck would be the much more logical option if you already own games on Steam. Bigger library, more flexibility, still very cheap (I think it's actually on sale right now), you still get a reasonably console-like experience if you stick to Steam games, but also have the flexibility to get stuff from other storefronts if you really want.

*barring complex hardmods, or tracking down an unpatched V1 Switch. Even then, options are much more limited than PC-based platforms.
            Last edited by QwertyChouskie; 02 July 2023, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
              -

Sadly that completely closes out any possibility of modding/alternative storefronts/VR/etc. IMHO a Steam Deck would be the much more logical option if you already own games on Steam. Bigger library, more flexibility, still very cheap (I think it's actually on sale right now), you still get a reasonably console-like experience if you stick to Steam games, but also have the flexibility to get stuff from other storefronts if you really want.
              Well that is not completely true there are mods for skyrim on the switch. But again the point was if you don't have a steam library, also I still have my old gaming pc, I just need the flexibility and want to play the sports game but also the handheld mode and there is something called homebrew

Comment

Well that is not completely true there are mods for skyrim on the switch. But again the point was if you don't have a steam library, also I still have my old gaming pc, I just need the flexibility and want to play the sports game but also the handheld mode and there is something called homebrew
                If you have an unpatched V1 Switch (or install a complex hardmod), sure, you get some modding/homebrew support. But the effort is higher than PC-based platforms, for a lower reward.

To be clear, I own an unpatched V1 Switch (got it for free, but needed microsoldering repairs), a V2 patched Switch, and a gaming laptop (Asus Zephyrus G14). I have no problem with someone buying a Switch to e.g. play Nintendo games on native hardware, but just know a Switch is not a replacement for a PC-based platform.

Comment

I was talking about the native games…
                  I still have hope that with SteamOS growing popularity, studios will publish native version more and more. I also hope that native apple metal build will become the norm since Apple Vision plateform will entice gamers too. Basically, there is hope regarding multi platform gaming dev to be back on tracks.
                  I mentioned that before, together with having playstation games ported to SteamOS to piss off MS, given that PS has been running bsd for ever.

Given the boatload of bad blood spilled in the ftc vs ms case, i am surprised that sony hasn’t considered SteamOS above windows.

yes, i know, market share and chicken and the egg thing, but both sony and valve have the money, desire and need to make this works.

Comment

Amazing how far Valve has pushed Linux gaming since a decade ago and their first try with "Steam Machines"

They worked like responsible adults, analyzed what went wrong with that first try, invested in developers for Linux, build a strong foundation and now is reaping the success with Steam Deck

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
                      replacement for a PC-based platform.
                      That depends on what you played on your pc, if you played ego shooters and stuff like that then probably no, but yes a old lowend gaming pc aside doesn't hurt. Also yes modding outside of legal steam bought games is a pain in the ass if not just impossible, too. So that is no big argument for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X