• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by procles View Post
    It shouldn't be, Panfrost is mostly C.
    panfrost took a lot longer to bring up than rusticl or agx

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

I understand your point but at the same time, i am tired of observing these incredibly smart people, wasting their time and talent on uphill battles like this.

If apple, nvidia and all the others FOSS hostile companies want to keep their hardware locked, I say leave them alone and isolated and instead work with the friendly ones, like Valve and AMD.

Seriously, fuckā€™em.
      the only reason this is happening at all is apple spent a ton of effort making the M1/M2 hardware dramatically LESS locked.

you also seem to have forgotten the golden rule of open source: "motivation isn't fungible." No effort is wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

the only reason this is happening at all is apple spent a ton of effort making the M1/M2 hardware dramatically LESS locked.

you also seem to have forgotten the golden rule of open source: "motivation isn't fungible." No effort is wasted.
        Maybe i missed that part, but has apple provided any documentation to these developers to help porting linux to their new SOCs?

Because im under the impression that they havent.

Same for nvidia, do they provide any help to those that are trying to make those drivers open source?

In the end, its their time and if they want to waste it, fine by me, but my point stands, if i were a programmer, i would not lift a finger in projects like this, especially when between apple and nvidia are worth 4 TRILLIONS dollars and they can easily provide the missing software.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Maybe i missed that part, but has apple provided any documentation to these developers to help porting linux to their new SOCs?

Because im under the impression that they havent.

Same for nvidia, do they provide any help to those that are trying to make those drivers open source?

In the end, its their time and if they want to waste it, fine by me, but my point stands, if i were a programmer, i would not lift a finger in projects like this, especially when between apple and nvidia are worth 4 TRILLIONS dollars and they can easily provide the missing software.
          Documentation would be nice, but it's not like other companies provide that either. Receiving documentation is the exception, not the rule.

Apple has spent considerable effort engineering a multi-boot system for running unsigned code with full privileges and also fixed a couple of bugs only affecting asahi. Asahi hasn't asked for docs, and apple hasn't given them.

WRT nvidia: they've provided an open source reference implementation of their driver now, and for many years have had very generous documentation sharing deals with key mesa developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Documentation would be nice, but it's not like other companies provide that either. Receiving documentation is the exception, not the rule.

Apple has spent considerable effort engineering a multi-boot system for running unsigned code with full privileges and also fixed a couple of bugs only affecting asahi. Asahi hasn't asked for docs, and apple hasn't given them.

WRT nvidia: they've provided an open source reference implementation of their driver now, and for many years have had very generous documentation sharing deals with key mesa developers.
            Thanks for the info, wasn't aware.

That's said, why hasn't the Asahi group asked for apples help?

And about Nvidia, I would say that are "helping" to spite AMD, not because of the goodness of their hearts.

I mean, nothing is stopping them in following AMD steps and work with the community.

Comment

Working...
            X