No announcement yet.

Running Linux On The ASUS ROG Ally Gaming Handheld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small correction: Ubuntu 23.04 ships with Kernel 6.2, not 6.3.
    Code:
    Linux version 6.2.0-20-generic (buildd@lcy02-amd64-035) (x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc-12 (Ubuntu 12.2.0-17ubuntu1) 12.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.40) #20-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Apr  6 07:48:48 UTC 2023 (Ubuntu 6.2.0-20.20-generic 6.2.6)

Comment

coreboot?

Comment

Try Batocera Linux v37 on it
        ​​​​It will be an interesting test.

Comment

Michael

Typo/Grammar

"is an LighTuning Technology" should be "a"

"But at least there is a kernel patch pending or should" ... Looks like the end of this sentence got lost?

Interesting article.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post

If they didn't launch, until now, the SteamOS for general use, I think that they don't want to support third party devices. An official release means that Valve should support the supported third-party devices.

It is Valve we are talking about (the same that say that it wouldn't be easy to add OLED displays on the Deck, the same that refuses to do a 64bit Steam on Linux and Windows), so I bet they won't support the Ally officially on their own.
            I'm of the opinion that it's not that Valve doesn't want to support third party devices, it's that Valve learned their lesson from their first go around with the Steam Machines that ran the Debian-based SteamOS. The original Steam Machines and SteamOS were "OMG!, Point at them and laugh." bad. Valve is waiting for things like HDR to have better support across the ecosystem, More KDE Wayland Fixes This Week, better ray tracing support in Mesa, etc and they're using the Steam Deck as a fixed point device to help their developers (in-house and contracted) achieve those goals. I really doubt they want a repeat of that original release where nothing works for anyone. For that matter, I wouldn't be that surprised if SteamOS/Valve are what is getting NVIDIA to get their open source shit in gear and, perhaps, Valve is waiting on NVIDIA in addition to the usual Linux gaming and desktop tech.

Comment

Is ROG Ally performance similar to Minisforum UM790 Pro, which has AMD Ryzen 9 7940hs , I wonder how fast I can compile Firefox, Rust and Chromium in them ?

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
                coreboot?
                It's asus that loves using proprietary bullshit, so no coreboot for you.

Comment

Michael

Would you accept payment for a tailored benchmark article?

I'm not interested in becoming a lifetime premium subscriber simply because I'm viewing your website with ads everyday for more than a decade by now, which earns you much more money than a one-time payment of 99$ and then viewing Phoronix ad-free.

However, I have an idea for a benchmark article involving the Steam Deck, for which I would gladly pay you a 100$.

And by accepting individual benchmark requests, I believe this could open up a lucrative new way of earning extra cash for you, especially if those benchmark requests start coming in from corporate customers.

So, what do you say -- do we have a deal here?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                    Michael

Would you accept payment for a tailored benchmark article?

I'm not interested in becoming a lifetime premium subscriber simply because I'm viewing your website with ads everyday for more than a decade by now, which earns you much more money than a one-time payment of 99$ and then viewing Phoronix ad-free.

However, I have an idea for a benchmark article involving the Steam Deck, for which I would gladly pay you a 100$.

And by accepting individual benchmark requests, I believe this could open up a lucrative new way of earning extra cash for you, especially if those benchmark requests start coming in from corporate customers.

So, what do you say -- do we have a deal here?
                    I'm always willing to entertain new benchmark requests especially from premium readers.... But let me know what you have in mind for the feasibility of some special Steam Deck benchmark article for $100. If it's something that straight-forward and interesting I can generally handle it and meeting my benchmark requirements.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

MichaelHave you thought about trying https://github.com/HoloISO/holoiso on this?

Comment

Working...
                      X