Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 8.0-1 Published With More Games Now Running On Steam Play

Phoronix: Proton 8.0-1 Published With More Games Now Running On Steam Play

Valve and CodeWeavers have made available Proton 8.0-1 as their newest version of this downstream of Wine that powers Steam Play for enjoying Windows games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This year will be a great year for the Steam Deck.
    Mesa 23.1 will give us GPL for less stutters when compiling shaders.
    This summer we'll also be getting Linux 6.4 with refined power management for the Deck.
    Combine all this with the tweaks that Cryo Utilities bring and your Deck will run so much better.

It's amazing what they've achieved so far.

Now lets hope they can convince some of the big publishers (Activision?) to make their anticheat/drm compatible with Proton/Linux as well.
    Would love to play some MW2 on my Deck without having to resort to Windows.

Thanks Valve and all others involved!
    Last edited by MastaG; 17 April 2023, 05:10 PM.

Comment

This upgrade also has much improved controller/gamepad support compared to the 7.0 series.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
        Combine all this with the tweaks that Cryo Utilities bring and your Deck will run so much better.
        Unfortunately, the fact that his script unconditionally enables THP (Transparent HugePages) by default will cause issues.

Yes, it can provide a noticeable speed-up, but it can also increase memory usage dramatically & cause heavy latency-spikes, too.

After all, there's a reason why Valve switched over to "madvise" for SteamOS on the Steam Deck instead of sticking with the Arch default of always enabling THPs...

Comment

Then a new version of vkd3d-proton should also be released in the next weeks or 1 to 2 months or?

Fork of VKD3D. Development branches for Proton's Direct3D 12 implementation. - HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton

​
          ​

Comment

This summer we'll also be getting Linux 6.4 with refined power management for the Deck.

It's amazing what they've achieved so far.

Now lets hope they can convince some of the big publishers (Activision?) to make their anticheat/drm compatible with Proton/Linux as well.
            Would love to play some MW2 on my Deck without having to resort to Windows.

Thanks Valve and all others involved!
            I just bought a Steam Deck two days ago and I'm going to receive it this week.

It's good to know that it's receiving so much support!

Comment

I've been on RADV_PERFTEST=gpl on my desktop RDNA2 lately and it's like magic. I removed all the shader cache completely and for example when played GTA V I couldn't spot even single stutter and the frametime was completely flat when locked at 60 FPS with the graphic settings pretty much maxed out.
              In 2020 the same game and the same CPU: the game was literally freezing for few seconds with CPU being fully utilized. After 15 minutes of painfully laggy experience, it was becoming mostly smooth with ocasional stutter.

Comment

I wonder how well a playstation game would run if properly ported to SteamOS 3?

Comment

I know this version of Proton doesn't like Battle.net. Had to revert to 7.0-6 to get it working again.

Comment

Good update. Fixed some issue I had with some Steam games.
                    At this point I have moved all my (Windows) games to Proton using the Steam launcher. Works much better than regular Wine Staging and don't have to muck around with gamescope. Sure, Wine + a profile manager (Bottles, q4wine or even Lutris) is much better in terms of fine tuning (in case of issues) and ease of configuration, but for something that you just want to install and play with no mods or special configs. then just using Steam launcher and running everything with Proton is more problem-free if most of your game library is already on Steam.

Comment

Working...
                    X