Godot 4.0 RC3 Released With Godot 4.0 Game Engine Release Imminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 4.0 RC3 Released With Godot 4.0 Game Engine Release Imminent

Phoronix: Godot 4.0 RC3 Released With Godot 4.0 Game Engine Release Imminent

The much anticipated Godot 4.0 open-source, cross-platform game engine release is imminent. Out today is Godot 4.0 RC3 which could end up being the final test release before this big game engine release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

17 Alphas,
    17 Betas,
    3 RCs?

That's not what Akien is usually doing...if anything, that man can be expected to do 16 Alphas, 17 Betas and 18 RCs, always trying to beat his record.
    Wait and see.

Comment

34 RCs. 17+17. Or 17+17=34; 3+4=7 RCs.

Comment

I know a lot of people have been waiting for this, cant wait to see what people make with it

Comment

Never has Godot borne its name so well. I ​can't wait to see what people do with it.

Slightly related, Bevy is slowly turning into a potential first choice open-source game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by all3f0r1 View Post
            Never has Godot borne its name so well. I ​can't wait to see what people do with it.

Slightly related, Bevy is slowly turning into a potential first choice open-source game engine.
            I've recently started playing with Bevy. It seems to have a lot of features and plugins and active development going on. It even has Vulkan and Wayland (by adding to features list) supported out of the box, which I'm really happy with. I'm less familiar with Rust but there are no good choices for 3D game engines in Go and it's not even worth trying in JS, PHP or Python. Currently working my way through this tutorial series which seems a good place to start, if anyone is interested.

Otherwise, I hope Godot starts to be picked up by more game developers and used for more commercial games. With first class Linux support there should be no reason not to provide native Linux builds. Although hopefully it will support some of the modern rendering techniques like UE5 has (if not encumbered by bad US patent laws).

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
              Otherwise, I hope Godot starts to be picked up by more game developers and used for more commercial games. With first class Linux support there should be no reason not to provide native Linux builds. Although hopefully it will support some of the modern rendering techniques like UE5 has (if not encumbered by bad US patent laws).
              to me it seems rendering techniques arent regularly patented (or enforced), it's also interesting how closed source closed drm console games are full of GDC presentations about their techniques, with whitepapers or experiments that end up becoming standard practice

the SEUS minecraft shader dev was doing path traced GI before UE5 lumen was announced and without dedicated RT hardware in opengl, though RT hardware is basically an acceleration of specific math instructions and so lumen runs better with RT capability (actually i was surprised to first hand try UE5 on windows7 with basic lumen actually working, havent tried 5.1, fortnite chapter 4 did work during its first launch week complete with TSR upscaling even though they said it 'may not' so maybe the 5.1 editor might work, neither use 12on11 which is quite interesting, so it was only nanite that's missing from win7)
              Last edited by kn00tcn; 27 February 2023, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post

to me it seems rendering techniques arent regularly patented (or enforced), it's also interesting how closed source closed drm console games are full of GDC presentations about their techniques, with whitepapers or experiments that end up becoming standard practice
                I think you're right. I was looking at some graphics programming papers, specifically one by Sebastian Hillaire (graphics dev at Epic) about sky rendering and finding many of these techniques are open for implementation. Of course there are exceptions like S3TC and other graphics formats restricted by licensing, but these rendering techniques not so much.

Comment

Working...
                X