Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

Well...

Over 110 PAGES of posts later (whoa...) and we've got an amazing list of possible leads- and an effort that actually did much more than I'd hoped for. I'm a bit busy in my day job and I'm chasing down a few issues with the titles I've got obligations on so the lead list will be started back on shortly. As it stands, we've got one on contract (stalled though...) and one complete game as a result of this thread. It should be noted that the position on the list is the present order I'm envisioning assessing, talking to studios, etc. on the list for myself (Or in the case of the dead titles, the likelyhood for it never happening...).

Place your requests for porting projects and germane discussions on the same here in the current part of the thread. Please try to keep it MOSTLY on topic so we can use the thread for discussion and dickering about the potential projects. Keep 'em coming, guys!

Ground Rules:

The title HAS to be a practical one. The rights holder HAS to be reachable in some manner. The rights holder has to be at least NOT openly hostile towards Linux use (That means Dungeon Siege is right out... ). AAaaand the rights holder has to have the source code in HAND in it's entirety and be willing to allow a port.

I can help with some projects, but not others. I am NOT going into competition with LGP on publishing or running counter to their porting efforts. I am still under contract for some things and there are business dealings and projects that I kind of need to maintain a good relationship with them for now.

Some suggestions will entail money. Unless someone ponies it up or can manage to pass the hat for it (Unless there's a business involved, though, you're going to find that this will be nigh impossible right at the moment...) there can be no ports of that specific game unless you sell the rights holder on the idea of them doing it themselves.

Don't be too hurt if your suggestion is shot down for any problems with above items.

With that... The floor's open.

[EDIT]

Here's a list of the current prospects and dead ends as of today (01/24/2010) as I've tabulated them up to this point- there may be new ones lurking in the thread and some stragglers in the thread that precipitated this one that I'm in the process of doing the initial checking on.

I'm listing the dead ends first. Keep in mind that these are all in this list for problems with availability of source code or rights access. Some of these were mentioned as dead ends out of the gate by one of the posters in the thread or, under review, were determined by myself to be non-practical requests. If, for some reason, you've got a lead on changing the status on the dead ends, speak up in the thread or PM me (As an example, I offer each and every one of Interplay's back catalog, including things such as Kingpin, Freespace2, etc. as we had someone point us in the direction of Good Old Games, who has current publication rights to Interplay's stuff and have indicated that they're not against the idea, but are understaffed to accomplish the work...)... I'll be putting up more edits to this post as I tabulate all the requests. We've got a nifty list and I need to follow up on some of the realistic ones. Keep the realistic suggestions coming, gang.

Dead Ends:

Anything from Microsoft Game Studios (There's a DUH moment...)
    Anything from Atari/Infogrames (They've shown us consistent disdain for a while now...if I see contrary evidence...)
    No One Lives Forever (Lithtech - No Lithtech engine games are practical right at the moment...)
    Psychonauts (After finding out what Majesco did to at least one studio, we don't want to deal with them...ever...sorry...)
    Wing Commander (EA property...code's likely to not be available at this point with Origin effectively defunct...)
    Oblivion (Prime AAA title- not without loads of cash... )
    Morrowind (Ditto...)
    Portal (Any of the Valve stuff's up in the air- someone may well be doing all of Orange Box and Steam...)
    Diablo
    Diablo II
    StarCraft
    StarCraft II
    Diablo III (Gimme a break, guys... This isn't a pie in the sky list...)
    KotOR
    KotOR 2 (Not that anyone would WANT that title... )
    Any of the GTA titles.
    America's Army (We HAD a version of this guys, but the DoD decided it was not a big enough payoff...)
    System Shock (Studio defunct- no clear title to code known, nor do we know if it's available at all...)
    System Shock II (Ditto...)
    Rise of the Triad (Ryan already beat us to it...go over to icculus.org if you've got the assets. )
    Call of Duty 4
    Unreal Tournament 3 (Uh, supposedly Epic's still working on this...)
    Bussimulator
    Syndicate I
    Syndicate II
    Syndicate Wars
    Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth
    Any title from the Tom Clancy series
    Stargunner
    Any of the Lemmings versions
    Dragon Age (If there is going to be a version, it'll be up to EA and Bioware...)
    STALKER
    Masters of Orion 1 or 2
    Slamtilt (Actually, ANY of the 21st Century Entertainment titles are this way...)
    Interstate 76
    SimCity (Already GPLed and out under the name "Micropolis" in all of it's ancient glory...)
    Neverwinter Nights 2 (Atari published property- need I say more?)
    Jedi Knights II
    Jedi Academy
    ST:Armada
    ST:Elite Force
    ST:Elite Force II
    Max Payne (Anything, really, from out of Remedy Entertainment because of close ties with Microsoft... )
    Dawn Of War and expansions
    Harpoon III (Initial Contacts made, looked promising...then it fizzled for no apparent reasons...)
    The Longest Journey
    Dreamfall- The Longest Journey
    Aquaria (Ryan's ported it..)
    And Yet It Moves (They're doing it themselves...if they run into a snag, I'll offer help, but...)
    ARMA (For now...)

Maybes:

Anything that was ported by the former Loki Games (It's been tried by LGP in the past when they were starting...)
    Soldier of Fortune II
    Gothic 3
    IL-2 Sturmovik
    Project Offset
    Grand Prix Legends
    Sam and Max Episodes
    Deus EX (Hinges on finding someone with the old Loki codebase that'll be able to grant publication rights)
    Deus EX 2
    Age of Wonders
    FlatOut 2
    Battlerealms
    Rome: Total War
    Tale Worlds (Some DRM concerns there...)
    GTR2 (10tacle in recievership- need to find out who is studio, etc...)
    Crysis (Initial contact made...we'll see...)
    Falcon 4 (Initial contact made...no word back from them...)
    CivIV
    (Moved to the "maybe" list because there's no clear title to what we have in hand...checking into it, but
    for right now, don't hold your breath...)
    Witchaven I
    Witchaven II
    Powerslave
    Witcher (Since Namco's now the publisher for anything CDProjekt does, it's a longshot maybe...)
    Merchants of Brooklyn (It's a Crytek 2 engine game...makes it a "maybe" at best...)
    Any of the Need for Speed titles.
    Puzzle Quest
    Secret Files: Tunguska and Puritas Cordis
    Battlefield: Vietnam, 2 and Battlefield Heroes
    Colin MacRae Dirt
    Sensible Soccer 2006

Being Looked Into:

The entire Myth series from Bungee
    Natural Selection 2
    Kivi's Underworld
    Depths of Peril
    Din's Curse
    Torchlight
    Freespace 1 & 2 (We've got code- need to get rights for assets for commercial release if possible...)
    Descent 3 (Someone's got access to the code and we just need to talk to Interplay and GoG...)
    PopCap's games (The framework lib appears to already have been ported over...).
    Crayon Physics Deluxe
    Industry Giant II
    Book of Unwritten Tales
    A Vampyre Story
    Braid
    Achron
    Project Aftermath
    Hinterland
    The Path
    Drakensang
    Civilization IV
    HoverRace (Clean up initial port...)
    Raptor
    Soldat
    rFactor
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs. Hokum (EECH - Source code being looked at...)
    Grotesque
    Audiosurf
    Track Mania
    Earth 2150
    Escape Velocity Series
    Alpha Centauri
    CivIII
    Kingpin
    Redneck Rampage Series
    Fallout
    Fallout 2
    Hostile Waters: Anteus Rising
    Urban Warfare Online
    Chessmaster 11
    Beyond Good and Evil
    The Maw

Deals Closed and/or in Development

Cortex Command
    Europa Universalis Engine (EU, EU2, etc...)

Projects now shipping

Caster
    Last edited by Svartalf; 24 January 2010, 02:46 AM.

I'll mention Chessmaster 11 by Ubisoft again since it's not on the list.

Comment

I'll mention The Maw again, just in case you missed it from the other thread.

Comment

I won't mention "Beyond Good and Evil" by Ubisoft.
        Which is now on gog

But I will definitely mention(again) "The Longest Journey" and "Dreamfall: The Longest Journey"
        There was a thread stating that there are no plans for linux support, gladly it is so old that everyone should just ignore it.
        But even now and then there might be enough need and willingness to make linux port happen.
        RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Kivi's Underworld is a 3D hack 'n' slash RPG with both a windows and a Mac client. Might be worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
            I won't mention "Beyond Good and Evil" by Ubisoft.
            Which is now on gog
            You just did, and I'm glad you did because that game is awesome!

Comment

Maybe worth to look into: http://www.book-of-unwritten-tales.com/

The German version is already out and got good reviews (85%+) The game states to use the Ogre engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Well...

America's Army (We HAD a version of this guys, but the DoD decided it

Caster
                There were many reasons why the Army ended support for their Mac and Linux clients, but" not being worth it" was not one of them(the trolls on their forums like to use that though).

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                  I'll mention The Maw again, just in case you missed it from the other thread.
                  I knew I'd missed something...

It's on the maybe list right at the moment. Don't know how receptive Twisted Pixel's going to be or what the deals are on Maw, 'splosion Man, etc. since they're on XBox Live...

Comment

Originally posted by Milyardo View Post
                    There were many reasons why the Army ended support for their Mac and Linux clients, but" not being worth it" was not one of them(the trolls on their forums like to use that though).
                    Actually, it was an amount of return on effort (Stated reason they were discontinuing paying for the support...)- which means that they didn't feel it was returning the results that they were paying for. If they felt that it was worth the money, they would have continued it since it's an Ad for the US Army to begin with.

Having said this, they're contemplating renewing the support deal for us, from what I understand- but it's a closed subject as it's the DoD that makes that decision, no matter how you want to view the statement I made there. And they made that decision a long while back.

Comment

Working...
                    X