Linux 6.2 Adds Sony DualShock 4 Controller Support To Newer PlayStation Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statix

You can use game-devices-udev get the hookup on controller udev rules. It's also in the AUR since you're on Manjaro. Another all-in-one alternative is to use Steam's udev rules.

Remember to like and subscribe, guys.

And if you really like that, you'll really enjoy this content from my sponsor, Marijuana.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

Maybe those rules are part of some packages that I always install, like steam-devices. I don't know why I don't have to use them. Maybe it's a different variant/revision of the controller.
      By one minute. ONE MINUTE

Some distributions pull those in automagically when you install Steam. Usually installing Steam is good enough....unless you do it from Flatpak where it'll prompt you to install steam-devices or something equivalent.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 18 December 2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Also global driver support can't be confused for userspace interaction...

apps like "SC Controller" allows several controllers to work to interact with the OS and any app without Steam running in the background, but it's needed because Gnome, KDE and etc do not support controller input themselves and require controller input translation into keyboard and/or mouse input.

The kernel recognition of the device happens regardless of the DE not knowing what to do with it, and apps should pick up on it if they have controller support.

As for steam-devices being needed, IMHO this is an old issue of linux distros caring too little about controller udev rules so a third-party focused on gaming (aka Valve) ends up needing to provide an optional package for it...

I have hope that Valve's partnership with KDE devs will spur more interest towards controllers being recognized by DEs as proper input for driving the OS. KDE's "Plasma Bigscreen" looks promising, but I'd love if this eventually includes "desktop" DEs not just specialty ones.

In any case, SC Controller is a pretty viable stopgap measure and is deeply customizable (albeit not as deep as Steam's customization, which is just THE most flexible thing ever)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Great!
          I hope now they work to add support also for the other things that are still not supported on these controllers when they're connected to a Linux computer compared to a PlayStation devices.
          I'm curious about the current state of:
          - rumble ("stereo vs. mono", intensity)
          - gyro
          - force feedback
          - speaker
          - mic
          - button press intensity
          - force feedback (and its intensity)
          - battery level
          - firmware updates

I used a DualSense with Steam early on (the extra controller arrived before the console so I just had to test it ) and none of the above existed iirc.

PS: is there even any game that's able to use all of these on linux if it's all supported by the kernel/driver stack?
          Last edited by marlock; 18 December 2022, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post

I'm curious about the current state of:
            - rumble ("stereo vs. mono", intensity)
            - gyro
            - force feedback
            - speaker
            - mic
            - button press intensity
            - force feedback (and its intensity)
            - battery level
            - firmware updates

I used a DualSense with Steam early on (the extra controller arrived before the console so I just had to test it ) and none of the above existed iirc.

PS: is there even any game that's able to use all of these on linux if it's all supported by the kernel/driver stack?
            Atleast Sony's PC ports of Spider-Man & Uncharted 4, but PS5's DualSense controller needs to be plugged in via USB, which sucks!

Comment

This is great and all but when can I run Linux on the controller?

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post
                This is great and all but when can I run Linux on the controller?
                It's probably running BSD

Comment

Working...
                X