No announcement yet.

Linux 6.2 Adds Sony DualShock 4 Controller Support To Newer PlayStation Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.2 Adds Sony DualShock 4 Controller Support To Newer PlayStation Driver

Phoronix: Linux 6.2 Adds Sony DualShock 4 Controller Support To Newer PlayStation Driver

As written about last month, Sony has been working on adding DualShock 4 controller support to their newer PlayStation HID driver in Linux. The DualShock 4 controller has long been supported under the older "hid-sony" driver but now with Linux 6.2 the support can also be found under "hid-playstation"...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great!
    I hope now they work to add support also for the other things that are still not supported on these controllers when they're connected to a Linux computer compared to a PlayStation devices.

Comment

While the community driver works, it have some quirks that I'm not a fan of, like a inverted "X-Y" button layout (compared to the XB360 standard), name change (or another driver?) when you use it plugged, no USB charging (when connected to a PC) while you are on Bluetooth.

If Sony official driver can fix all that, I'm totally on board with distros making it the default option.

Comment

About time.

DualSense support is great, by the way. I own one of these, and use it quite a bit.

Comment

Does this mean PS4 controller will work globally so launchers such as Lutris (Epic Games) who have no controller support can use PS4 controller?

Currently only Steam works/supports PS4 controller. If you want to use Lutris or any other platform that does not have built in PS4 controller support I have to use ds4drv userspace driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Statix View Post
            Does this mean PS4 controller will work globally so launchers such as Lutris (Epic Games) who have no controller support can use PS4 controller?

Currently only Steam works/supports PS4 controller. If you want to use Lutris or any other platform that does not have built in PS4 controller support I have to use ds4drv userspace driver.
            I don't know what you're talking about. For me it doesn't matter how I run a game, most of them just pick it up without issues whether it's Lutris, Heroic, Bottles, native games, RetroArch and virtually any app that can use controller that I know of. It doesn't matter if it's cable or BT. I never used the ds4drv. I run bleeding edge distro, but I have it for 2 years at this point and it was always plug and play literally.

Actually I'm afraid I'll have to use something like ds360 emulator now as I do with the DualSense (hid-playstation) if I want to use anything but Steam. It works, but it's an extra step. If I use it directly it's mapped incorrectly.
            Last edited by bple2137; 17 December 2022, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are talking about, I've used my DS4 years ago without going through Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

I don't know what you're talking about. For me it doesn't matter how I run a game, most of them just pick it up without issues whether it's Lutris, Heroic, Bottles, native games, RetroArch and virtually any app that can use controller that I know of. It doesn't matter if it's cable or BT. I never used the ds4drv. I run bleeding edge distro, but I have it for 2 years at this point and it was always plug and play literally.

Actually I'm afraid I'll have to use something like ds360 emulator now as I do with the DualSense (hid-playstation) if I want to use anything but Steam. It works, but it's an extra step. If I use it directly it's mapped incorrectly.
                I am using the latest Manjaro (tried many others) release thus I expected it to work out of the box, but for some reason it is no go for me. When I connect via bluetooth or USB, only the trackpad works. The D-pad, joysticks and buttons aren't recognized. I am using Epic Games via Lutris which doesn't have PS4 controller support like Steam to play games. No matter how I launch the game only the trackpad works (In this case playing Control). To get the PS4 controller to work fully (no rumble) I have to invoke ds4drv --hidraw through the terminal before I launch the game.

Comment

I am using the latest Manjaro (tried many others) release thus I expected it to work out of the box, but for some reason it is no go for me. When I connect via bluetooth or USB, only the trackpad works. The D-pad, joysticks and buttons aren't recognized. I am using Epic Games via Lutris which doesn't have PS4 controller support like Steam to play games. No matter how I launch the game only the trackpad works (In this case playing Control). To get the PS4 controller to work fully (no rumble) I have to invoke ds4drv --hidraw through the terminal before I launch the game.
                  Here, copy & paste the following (fully) into the terminal:

cat << EOF | sudo tee /etc/udev/rules.d/99-ds4-controllers.rules
                  # DualShock 4 over USB
                  KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="05c4", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 Wireless Adapter over USB
                  KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0ba0", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 Slim over USB
                  KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="054c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="09cc", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 over Bluetooth
                  KERNEL=="hidraw*", KERNELS=="*054C:05C4*", MODE="0666"

# DualShock 4 Slim over Bluetooth
                  KERNEL=="hidraw*", KERNELS=="*054C:09CC*", MODE="0666"
                  ​EOF
                  Now execute the following:
                  Code:
                  sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
                  Replug your DS4 controller & thank me later...

Nah, just kidding, no need to do so!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Here, copy & paste the following (fully) into the terminal:

Now execute the following:
                    Code:
                    sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
                    Replug your DS4 controller & thank me later...

Nah, just kidding, no need to do so!
                    Maybe those rules are part of some packages that I always install, like steam-devices. I don't know why I don't have to use them. Maybe it's a different variant/revision of the controller.

Comment

Working...
                    X