X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
    I'm considering getting the Steam Docking Station as a generic dock/hub for my Linux laptop.

My only two concerns are:
    • The non-removable USB type C cable that connects from the dock to the Steam Deck looks like it might be awkward to plugin to a laptop.
    • Will I be able to update it without a Steam Deck (I do have Steam..)

I currently have a buggy Lenovo dock (not sure why - but HDMI is very unreliable on it). I'd like to get one that definitely supports Linux well.
    I just ordered a Deck + Dock. When I get it I can test it with a Lenovo T480 running Fedora if you'd like. That being said...
    • I do think the 6" charging cable would be a PITA for laptop charging.
    • Do you need more than 45W for your laptop?
    • Yes, I'm pretty sure firmware updates to the dock will be delivered through a connected Steam Deck.
    I think you'd probably be happier with a non-specialized USB C (or Thunderbolt depending on your laptop) dock where there have been thorough reviews about Linux compatibility.

Leave a comment:

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    I didn't like mine enough to keep them with eBay money tempting me. But after reading this post I can probably convince myself that I'd essentially be getting one and the dock for free (in addition to a HP ZBook 15 G5) with the proceeds from the first two. It also looks like you can snag a 256GB 2230 drive for ~$30 or less. One thing that gives me pause is wondering how close we are to a v2 given the delays in getting v1 to market. I guess that won't happen until they can get an RDNA 3 iGPU though, maybe next year's holiday season.

Leave a comment:

• pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

Japan says Hi.
    Looks like you can at least get in the reservation queue now in Japan.

One other byproduct of us scaling production is our ability to expand to other regions. Recently we started taking reservations in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong through Komodo, our distribution partner in these regions.

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by doomie View Post
    Cool. Steam Controller 2.0 when?
    Yes please. Can we have a Steam Controller 2 with production build quality this time around, Valve?

Leave a comment:

• DrYak
    replied
    Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
    But luckily Switzerland and Norway are near to the EU. So it could be possible to bye it in an neighbouring country
    That's the saddest part: it seems Valve has gone to great lengths to make this as much difficult as they can:

You can't merely give a delivery address across the border (like with any other online shop).

You can only ship to your main address, which should be an address that you've already associated with your account in the past, and the credit card you use to do purchase on Steam must be linked to the same country.

Leave a comment:

• doomie
    replied
    Cool. Steam Controller 2.0 when?

Leave a comment:

• theuserbl
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Elendig View Post
    Valve still refuses to sell to norway :/
    Originally posted by DrYak View Post
    Yup, same in Switzerland. We, non-EU European are left in the mud.
    Hmmm.. possibly because of the import tax.
    To import in the EU they have only negotiate with the EU and then it works for all EU-countries. But for the countries outside the EU, they have to negotiate with every country seperatly.

But for Norway and Switzerland they don't need to create a new plug.
    Norway have type C and type F plugs like in all other counties in the EU.
    And Switzerland have type J plugs. But the flatt type C plugs are compatible to it. And the SteamDeck for the EU comes with a type C plug.

But luckily Switzerland and Norway are near to the EU. So it could be possible to bye it in an neighbouring country
    And after it, the Steam Games can be buyed and used in (nearly) every country.

Leave a comment:

• murlakatamenka
    replied
    I'll just leave a couple of links with prices in different regions:

- https://steamdb.info/app/1675200/ (Steam Deck)
    - https://steamdb.info/app/1696780/ (Dock)
    Last edited by murlakatamenka; 06 October 2022, 09:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by DrYak View Post

Yup, same in Switzerland. We, non-EU European are left in the mud.
    Japan says Hi.

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
    Holy crap. €99 for a dock. Ok, it comes with an additional power supply, but even then...
    It's a nuisance of a price, but cheap docks will often fail quickly or not allow their full capabilities to be used (using most of the ports at once).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X