Steam On Linux Marketshare Crawls Up To 1.27% For August 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post

Most gamers are on openBSD (aka Sony Playstations)

I suspect most people not dumb enough to use windows for anything are also smart enough to game on openBSD.
    Yes. This is open source fans (mainly BSD) assembly:

From france: La PS4 vendue 95 euros par le Lidl d'Orgeval provoque des scènes d'hystérie - YouTube

From UK: Lidl PlayStation 4 ps4 - YouTube

Pure intellectual event, not for dumb .

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Yes. This is open source fans (mainly BSD) assembly:

From france: La PS4 vendue 95 euros par le Lidl d'Orgeval provoque des scènes d'hystérie - YouTube

From UK: Lidl PlayStation 4 ps4 - YouTube

Pure intellectual event, not for dumb .
      I was talking about
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play...ystem_software

Its like SteamOS, but has more gamers than the rest of the competition combined.

hopefully SteamOS can change that and succeed where microsoft failed, certainly seems to be on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        I've had zero annoyances and zero regressions in terms of running games on my Windows install for the past 20 years. None. Nada. Zilch.

And gaming experience is oh so better under Windows: I can undervolt my GPU, monitoring (performance metrics) is a ton better, everything just works.

Wasting literally hours to figure out which update has broken my gaming? And then a few more our to resolve it? Thank you, no, thank you.
        Surely you jest? I know tons of people who refuse to update their drivers because they always brick something on Windows. Not to mention how many stick to old Windows OS versions.

Let's not get started with how much shit Windows Update breaks... lmfao.

How much you wanna bet I find at least 5 complete showstopper bugs with Windows 10 Update that got media attention? I'm not gonna waste my time if there's no bet though.

Sure, updating on Linux tends to break things too. It's just updates in general. As a power user, though, I can easily see/revert what got updated on Linux, even without a complete backup in place. Windows on the other hand is a complete mess with so much crap and the registry that you will almost never get back to the same state. lol.

That's why the age-old meme to "reinstall Windows" is so common among the inexperienced casuals. It's common because it's hard even for a power user to revert the state, and it's common because WINDOWS BREAKING ITSELF happens extremely often. Whether it's updates or malware, you get the point.

BTW, because I know you like to attack open source fanatics: I use the NVIDIA proprietary driver for Linux, and I don't mind it at all, in fact I find it much easier to use than the open source drivers where I have to update the whole fucking system/kernel just to update my graphics driver. So yeah. Lack of open source is not the only reason I hate Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          . Lack of open source is not the only reason I hate Windows.
          I doubt anyone "likes" windows. They mostly seem to tolerate it because change is scary.

Comment

[QUOTE=mSparks;n1344016]
            Its like SteamOS, but has more gamers than the rest of the competition combined.
            /QUOTE]

No, it's not. PlayStation and its system is native platform with own api.

Native platform for Steam games is Windows and native api is mostly DX.

So if you say it's same you are probably dumb.

where microsoft failed,
            I hear it for at least 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              WINDOWS BREAKING ITSELF happens extremely often.
              It's not true.

Whether it's updates or malware, you get the point.
              In the last 7 years of using Windows 10, I had to 'reset' it once - because stopped updating. So, it's not terrible.

And I need to reinstall my linux a few times. For example, he did not survive the update from Mint 19 -> 20.

Comment

My win 10 broke a couple of day's ago and I installed ubuntu 22 lts. i guess I could of installed steamos 3 with holoiso but I did not know about till after... I want make a lan party of like 4 computers with all the old junk I got. I got some buddies that want to play as a squad in arma3. Linux does have a lot of native games that we play e.g. company of heroes 2 and they are not Linux users.

Comment

I love Valve and Steam, but the hardware survey is simply too inaccurate.

i know, i know, its the only option that provides this kind of data, but still, way too inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
                    No, it's not. PlayStation and its system is native platform with own api.

Native platform for Steam games is Windows and native api is mostly DX.

So if you say it's same you are probably dumb.

I hear it for at least 15 years.
                    Yes, its openBSD with sonys ui and apis on top. how is that meaningfully different that steamos being linux with valves UI and apis on top?

And yes, I can imagine people have been trying to explain to you that windows became a failure 15 years ago. cos, like, that was pretty much when MS fired nearly all its windows team and MS pivoted to azure, and now microsoft cant even give windows away for free...

But by all means continue enjoying your retro gaming experience with cables everywhere and no touch devices or haptic feedback, they've only been a mainstay of gamers for like what, 15 years?

Comment

My gaming PCs always ran some version of windows, but something funny happed to me.

i love the game Strider, but that game has always crashed at random spots regardless of which version of windows was used and on my last replay, it will simply crash on the same spot on both win 10 and w11.

i then tried fedora and arch, running on an all AMD system (5600x & 6900xt) with proton and holy cr@p, zero crashes!

i did run into a weird situation with both distros were i didnt had any sound and since this is connected to a tv, i think it was the hdmi connection and linux maybe lacking something (same for hdr support).

But no crashes.
                      Last edited by NeoMorpheus; 04 September 2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X