Feral Releases GameMode 1.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    Do people still use it? For me it does nothing in terms of performance.
    I don't use it. I have manual scripts for setting game performance vs compute/general and just have them set as hotkeys. If I want to game, I press the key and go; no guess-work or shifting through config files
    Last edited by Guest; 21 July 2022, 07:46 PM.

Comment

i recently started hitting abysmal performance with Teams on linux. i would also notice that to a degree in browsers. i thought that maybe something went wrong with my hardware (thermal throttling), but it seems that something around kernel 5.18 changed about intel_pstate driver and my laptop is very aggressively maintaining a low clock rate.

right now my fix is switching to performance governor, which works great when on A/C power, but absolutely kills the battery. for some reason certain cpu governors do not work - i cannot switch to userspace nor ondemand, despite loading their modules.

so, gamemode might be my fix to automatically switch performance profiles when i am running Teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        I have noticed the difference, a little on my desktop, but a colossal amount of my daughter's Ryzen 5700U laptop. I forget exactly, but enabling the GPU optimisations changed Deep Rock Galactic from being 30fps at a very low resolution with the lowest settings to about 50fps at a much higher resolution with medium settings. When I tried the same on my wife's 2700U laptop though, it overheated and shutdown within a minute or two.
        That's with the Vega iGPU of the Ryzen 5700U, right?

If so, then that is quite interesting, because most people will usually opt for schedutil on an APU, believing that the performance governor would eat away all the shared power-budget of the combined CPU+GPU.

But your post begs to differ, apparently.

Who knows, maybe even the Steam Deck could benefit from Feral's GameMode / the performance governor.

If only there was a Linux-affine person who had written a complete benchmark-suite with a Steam Deck lying around...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
          That's with the Vega iGPU of the Ryzen 5700U, right?
          Yes.

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
          If so, then that is quite interesting, because most people will usually opt for schedutil on an APU, believing that the performance governor would eat away all the shared power-budget of the combined CPU+GPU.
          I hadn't thought of that. Maybe using schedutil and the GPU optimisations would get us even better performance!

Comment

Yes.

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe using schedutil and the GPU optimisations would get us even better performance!
            Please do & also make sure to tell us how it went!

Comment

Based on past gaming experiences I assume Performance will deliver better performance provided you have adequate cooling to your APU. Schedutil does the same clock jumping that the others do that can wreck CPU performance. Depending on your games being CPU or GPU bound and what your thermals read you could consider locking your CPU to 3.5-4Ghz and use the extra thermal headroom to get a mild OC out of the GPU.

In regards to using GameMode, I use it to set nice value of -10 on my games so my system knows what to give priority to since nearly everything defaults to 0. I don't need to use the rest of what it offers.

Comment

It does a lot for me in emulators. With the default "schedutil" frequency governor, I get audio crackling because the emulator can't maintain its target frame time. In emulators, audio is usually synchronous to video and if you don't maintain good timing, you get audio dropouts. This happens with emulators that are very light on the CPU. schedutil just changes the frequency to minimum very often, and as a result the emulator starts producing audio underruns.

With the performance governor, it's perfect. The automatic toggling of the governor is my main use of gamemode.
                Last edited by RealNC; 23 July 2022, 01:48 PM.

Comment

A quick glance at Guilty Gear Strive ProtonDB page reveals that many people are indeed using game mode.
                  I am sure they will take any advantage they can get, in a game where 60 FPS are so important. However, disabling the screenlock for one game only is already useful enough.

Comment

it work very well in two system intel i8300h with nvidia 1050 and with ryzen 7 5700u, more fps and more stable gaming

Comment

Working...
                    X