No announcement yet.

SDL2 Reverts Its Wayland Preference - Goes Back To X11 Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayland is still not viable, even with open source drivers. Look at this nonsense:

It's impossible to write games without input lag.

With the way things have been going these last 5 years or so, it appears The Year Of The Wayland Desktop will probably arrive in about 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Wayland is still not viable, even with open source drivers. Look at this nonsense:

With the way things have been going these last 5 years or so, it appears The Year Of The Wayland Desktop will probably arrive in about 20 years.
      That person who created that issue even states that they only noticed the input lag in Retroarch and some in the discussion believe it's a Retroarch issue. As someone who follows emulation community somewhat closely, I can tell you that Retroarch isn't exactly known to be well-made and many discourage use of it not just because of that but also because of abusive behavior on the part of the one of the developers towards emulator developers.

Comment

Doesn't the linked page literally say: It works with amdvlk but not radv, with Wayland and on the same hardware? How is that a Wayland problem?

Comment

I've been using Wayland almost exclusively for over a year now on my RX 5700 desktop machine and an Intel UHD laptop. Mostly I love it, but I can definitely understand why people think it's not ready. It fixes a number of minor (but rather annoying) presentation, tearing, timing, and multi-display issues even when running stuff in XWayland. The main downsides I've run into is screen recording or sharing programs generally don't work, and a few programs (some Qt based stuff like RenderDoc) that need to be forced to use XWayland to work correctly.

Though highly anecdotal, my biggest frustrations was recording gameplay snippets for my gamedev project. OBS Studio on Wayland kinda just didn't work on my Pop OS machine. Switching to X was not great either as the X screengrab stuff makes the game stutter like mad, and the resulting video is unusable too). Turns out the problem is my 144 hz display, and I can fix it by switching the display to 60hz, but what a pain! I have another drive with Fedora on it for testing, and noticed that all of this "just works" there. Wayland, mixed refresh/capture rate and all. I suppose the new pipewire code will trickle down into the Ubuntu derivative sooner than later.

Anyway, Wayland seems like it fixes a number of X11s rough edges (or at least it has for me as a graphics dev), and the remaining issues keep getting more and more minor. I haven't had an Nvidia machine in a years, but it's been great on my AMD and Intel systems. Color me excited!

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/6249

I wouldn't be too worried about little things like that. IIRC most platforms use 3 image deep swapchains by default (GL, DX, etc) I get 3 images by default in my game on RADV, so it's not like everything is being forced to have extra on Wayland. Could be a bug in retro-arch too, and stuff like that crops up and gets fixed all the time.
          Last edited by [email protected]; 18 April 2022, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Eternal Jensen "Leather Jacket" Huang strikes again...

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
              I've been on the latest KDE with Wayland for a few months now and the experience is perfectly fine. The one app that needs to get its stuff together is Zoom but even that mostly works.
              Mostly works? Webcam yes, screen share no. I guess you don't need that.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                Wow exaggerate/sensationalist much?

Out of the 6 things on the list, you bold the one thing that is controversial?
                I bolded the first item in the list because it was the first item in the list.

It is a well known fact though that Nvidia's driver has been a prime culprit in holding back Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

I bolded the first item in the list because it was the first item in the list.

It is a well known fact though that Nvidia's driver has been a prime culprit in holding back Wayland.
                  This is a fucking lie. Wayland is held back by its asinine design decisions and asinine implementations.

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                  Eternal Jensen "Leather Jacket" Huang strikes again...
                  Yeah, he strikes straight into the brains of Linux users who suddenly lose dozens of IQ points when they see the word NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by howarth View Post
                    Matches what Ubuntu did yesterday for gdm3...
                    NVIDIA's Linux strategy has failed so spectacularly that it's causing collateral damage to the rest of the open-source ecosystem. I think NVIDIA really needs to cooperate with and support the Nouveau team, or get a fully-functional open-source Vulkan driver out there. We need something, they can still keep their proprietary driver for corporate support, GRID VDI, and other big money projects. I just want to be able to use their products in a reasonable way that doesn't make me jump through hoops or bend my system into some alternate universe.

Comment

Is it me or did everyone just ignored the mentioned bug in libwayland?

On a different note, yes, I can attest to Nvidia driver being very buggy in Wayland, including basic issues such as xwayland window switching and sleep freezes. Expected given that support is new and KMS considered experimental.
                      Last edited by abu_shawarib; 19 April 2022, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X